Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rice pudding for 11 mth old.

(15 Posts)
ja9 Sat 16-Jul-05 13:04:12

Quick question - is it ok to give tinned rice pudding or is it best to make my own (really would rather avoid!).

If so, is one type better for babies than another? My dh usually just eats tesco value ones so thats what we have in the house...

hunkermunker Sat 16-Jul-05 13:06:31

Wouldn't give DS value anything, but I'm a food snob and wouldn't eat them myself either...

Look at the ingredients. Does it have lots of sugar? Lots of other unrecognisable ingredients?

Rachel's organic do a nice rice pudding - or it's incredibly easy to make yourself.

Buy some pudding rice, follow the instructions on the packet - it's rice, full-fat milk and a bit of sugar (and nutmeg on top if you like it). You just bung it all in a dish and put it in a low oven for two hours. Bingo!

ja9 Sat 16-Jul-05 13:07:17

is it really that easy? are you sure?

hunkermunker Sat 16-Jul-05 13:07:49

Totally! I make it all the time - love it!

ja9 Sat 16-Jul-05 13:08:21

it cant be frozen can it?

snafu Sat 16-Jul-05 13:09:33

I've given ds Ambrosia creamed rice in the past. No preservatives or other nasties but obviously quite high in sugar so it's a once-in-a-while treat.

Didn't know Rachel's did one, hunker, must get some (I love rice pud!)

hunkermunker Sat 16-Jul-05 13:09:45

Don't think so - but you'll want to scoff any your baby doesn't so there'll be none left to freeze

hunkermunker Sat 16-Jul-05 13:10:20

Rachel's one is in pots with the yoghurts - have two sitting in my fridge atm - it's lovely and creamy - think there may only be one in my fridge in a mo

katymac Sat 16-Jul-05 13:11:03

I use 2.5 oz of rice 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (reduce if you want)& nutmeg or cinnamon
In the oven (med setting) for a couple of hours (maybe 1 and a half)

You can add dried fruit (apricots/raisins) if you want

snafu Sat 16-Jul-05 13:11:56

Oooooh, I've already been to Waitrose this morning - can I justify a return trip? Hmmm, suppose I could do with some more fruit to make ds some ice lollies with....

bee3 Sat 16-Jul-05 13:16:50

Ds' absolute favourite is Boots own baby organic rice pudding with cinnamon. Have never actually got my act together to make my own, but perhaps I will now.....

GetOrlaithOut Sat 16-Jul-05 14:31:12

I give ds3 (10 months) Ambrosia rice pud.

ja9 Sat 16-Jul-05 14:34:47

i really dont like rice pud, but you are all making it sound so delicious!! maybe once i make my own... but then, i dont really want to develop a taste for it since it is so fattening!

Flum Sun 17-Jul-05 00:28:21

blimey had pudding rice in my cupboard for years never plucked up the courage to actually use it!

dinny Sun 17-Jul-05 08:15:45

Easiest thing in world to make - I put a couple of vanilla pods in mine too, dd and ds love it, as does dh. Dot the top with a few blobs of butter and remember to stir 30 mins into cooking. makes the top all caramel-like any scrummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now