Talk

Advanced search

How to defrost purees ?

(9 Posts)
Ruthiebaby Fri 15-Jul-05 11:09:20

God I feel so thick asking this - but how do I defrost purees ? Do I just leave them to defrost or should I heat them ?
Is it ok to keep it in the fridge ?
Can I keep puree's in the fridge for longer than a day (i.e make up some, refridgerate it and use it the next day)

I froze some avocado puree yesterday in ice-cube trays and I need it today but I need to know what I'm supposed to do.

Is there any good links you know of which explains all this ?

Aaarrghhh - who'd have thought such a simple sounding thing would be so complicated.

giraffeski Fri 15-Jul-05 11:11:21

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Fri 15-Jul-05 11:12:23

Take it out of the freezer about an hour before you want it, put it in a bowl and leave it. It'll defrost quickly in this weather. You can heat them if you want to do it faster. Keep it as long as you'd keep the fresh item, so with avocado for example, if you don't puree it and cut it up it goes black quite quickly. I wouldn't bother pureeing avocado though, if you scrape it out fresh with a spoon it shoudl be soft enough.

wordsmith Fri 15-Jul-05 11:28:40

Can't you defrost it in a microwave, if you have one?

PandaBear Fri 15-Jul-05 11:29:28

I just heat mine from frozen!!

GetMakosiorVanessaorOrlaithOut Fri 15-Jul-05 11:30:35

Heat from frozen or defrost in microwave.

I keep them for a day or so in the fridge.

Ruthiebaby Fri 15-Jul-05 14:44:27

wickedwaterwitch - I just scooped a fresh avocado out and mashed it with a spoon and added a little breastmilk and it was fine ! So you're right - I don't need to liquidize it

I'm throwing out my frozen avocado. It did freeze ok though but it's easy enough just to do it from fresh.

I'll re-heat in the microwave from now on

p.s - like your name getmakosiorvanessaorolaithout (want orlaith out myself)

Pob71 Fri 15-Jul-05 16:42:06

I'm having a slight dilemma myself about this. Is it ok to thaw and heat to eating temp eg cooked,pureed pear or do I have to reheat to "piping" hot then cool down? One site I found says it is ok to heat to eating temp and this would suit me best as our microwave has packed in (and anyway I worry about what nutritional damage microwaving does to food) however I'm a bit concerned incase it isnt safe from food hygiene point of view.

starlover Fri 15-Jul-05 16:51:28

i always just heat to the temp i want it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now