Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vitamin D - any one clever out there?

(10 Posts)
BarefootMama Fri 15-Jul-05 09:20:32

After having read that we are exposing ourselves to possible cancer through having no vit d ( on another thread just now) I wondered if anyone clever knew where you could get it.

The article said egg yolks and fish but i am vegetarian.

It said b/f mothers were at risk and as i will have my baby in winter would like to know how to supplement my diet ! Any educated foodie types out there?

Flamesparrow Fri 15-Jul-05 09:21:53

Its not in a lot other than those things

Just get all the sun exposure you can (without frying yourself).

Toothache Fri 15-Jul-05 09:23:13

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, which is not significantly destroyed by cooking or even processing and refrigeration.

Vitamin D2, which is also known as ergocalciferol, can be synthesised by the exposure of yeast to light.

Vitamin D3, which is known as cholecalciferol, is found naturally in animal tissues.

This vitamin is often nick-named the “sunshine vitamin” as in humans it is formed within the skin when ultraviolet light activates the conversion of a form of cholesterol into vitamin D3.

With dietary vitamin D, it is absorbed through the intestinal walls with the help of bile salts. This vitamin is converted by the liver into a form the body can use, and then it is stored within the liver.

Vitamin D is required by the body for absorption and metabolism of calcium and phosphorus, for bone and tooth enamel.

Growth and Development in Children

This vitamin also plays a very important role in the growth and development of children, and with their normal calcification of bones and teeth.

Vitamin D is required for the formation of hormones by the thyroid gland and this vitamin also has many functions related to calcium and phosphorus metabolism, such as blood clotting, the heart and the nervous system.

Some of the food sources that Vitamin D can be found within are dairy products, fish liver oils and liver.

Because our body requires sunlight to synthesise Vitamin D, a lack of exposure with a poor diet can lead to a deficiency in this vitamin.

Unfortunately, drugs such as laxatives or lipid lowering drugs may also cause a deficiency in vitamin D, and therefore it may be advisable to supplement on your nutrient intake.

Toothache Fri 15-Jul-05 09:24:24

I'm not clever.... just copied and pasted it from a website.

Dairy products contain it too.

BarefootMama Fri 15-Jul-05 09:25:36

do they??? Anyone else heared of dairy products?

Flamesparrow Fri 15-Jul-05 09:26:20

Nope... never heard of dairy products.

But then I not heard of lots of stuff

Toothache Fri 15-Jul-05 09:27:12

I'll do a bit more searching.... ahem... whilst I'm working hard.

aloha Fri 15-Jul-05 09:28:03

Take a supplement. I took Osteocare with vitamin D all through my pregnancy because my dd was born in February and winter babies are at risk of vitamin D deficiency.

aloha Fri 15-Jul-05 09:28:56

And yes, get as much sunshine as you can.

Seona1973 Sat 16-Jul-05 12:59:53

here are some sources:

Vitamin D is only found naturally in animals and animal products; fruit and nuts contain no vitamin D at all. Richest sources include:
Fish liver oils, particularly those of:

Halibut
Cod

Saltwater fish, including:

Herring
Mackerel
Salmon
Sardines
Eel

Other sources of Vitamin D are:
Milk
Butter
Cheese
Margarine
Cream
Yoghurt
Egg

Also: Found only in animal sources, vitamin D is fat soluble and can be manufactured by the body on exposure to UV radiation.

The main function of vitamin D in the body is to maintain blood levels of calcium and phosophorus. Vitamin D is essential for the absorption of these substances from the small intestine, and also for the mineralization process of the bones. The result of vitamin D deficiency is rachitis (rickets) in children and osteomalacia in adults.

Top tip:

Even though it’s important to expose your skin to sunlight so that your body can make vitamin D, you don’t need to spend hours sunbathing! Just two hours of sunshine each week in the summer will maintain adequate levels throughout the rest of the year as this vitamin is stored in the body. Remember to follow all the usual sun safety advice and cover up during the hottest part of the day between 11-3pm, wear a sun screen and never let yourself burn.

I just did an online search - there is loads of info out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now