Talk

Advanced search

How much is your 2 yo eating in this hot weather?

(24 Posts)
Lonelymum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:20:12

Mine has gone from eating very little to eating even less. I feel quite concerned. He is not ill and he is perfectly happy but today all he ate was:

about 2 desertspoons of cereal for breakfast

Half a bovril sandwich (ie half a piece of bread) and a quarter of a peeled apple for lunch

About 2 teaspoons of dinner (mixture of apple sauce, potato, cauliflower cheese) he spat out the meat!

That is it. He is drinking plenty so no worries there but that is all he ate (he asked for goodies like chocolate but I don't allow them if my children don't eat their meals). He ate a similar amount yesterday and for the last few days too.

I don't really want to know if your 2 yo eats like a horse. Could you let me know if your 2 yo is surviving on as little as mine?

morningpaper Thu 14-Jul-05 21:21:14

Mine isn't eating much in the heat either, but she is drinking a lot. I've resorted to sticking her in front of the telly and spoon-feeding her while she is in a passive televisual coma.

Blackduck Thu 14-Jul-05 21:22:15

Today he had:
slice of toast
bowl of yoghurt
couple of pieces of bagel (not even half a slice...)
couple of mouthfuls of fish and three chips....
Its the heat - I don't feel like eating either....
He's drinking loads so I'm not too worried...

nailpolish Thu 14-Jul-05 21:22:32

lm my dd1 is 2.9 and is similar to what you are talking about. its definitely the heat, i reckon. i also think my dd1 fills herself up on juice and water so much, shes so thirsty. dont worry babe!

milward Thu 14-Jul-05 21:22:54

Not much at dinner but had a picnic in the garden & she had a sandwich, bread, fruit cake & apple - drinking lots though. 1 weetabix for breakfast with lots of milk.

Lonelymum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:23:14

That was how I got the 2 tsps of dinner into him this evening! Then he twigged what was going on and refused to have any more. I did a fair amount of force feeding with my other three and resolved I would take the laid back approach with ds3, but this is getting worrying!

Lonelymum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:24:16

Sorry, that last post of mine was in response to MP.

Blackduck Thu 14-Jul-05 21:25:47

I wouldn't worry too much - sure its the heat - as long as they keep drinking......and it is supposed to cool down a bit tomorrow so hopefully they will get back to normal...

Lonelymum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:28:22

Hope so. Actually he goes through long phases of not eating much (not just in hot weather) so a cooler day might not help me at all. I look at his energy levels and his chubby legs and his bright expression and irrepressible sense of humour and know he must be all right, but how can he survive, let alone grow, on such tiny amounts of food?

Blackduck Thu 14-Jul-05 21:30:16

My mum says they won't starve themselves...! I used to say I was starving - she'd give me a piece of fruit and I'd say I was full! Some of us don't have huge appetites but we survive and grow......

slim22 Thu 14-Jul-05 21:31:01

same here with 16mths old.
I try to keep a routine of 3 set meals a day, but actually find it easier just to let him graze and not make a big deal of mealtimes.
Keep snacks healthy and nourishing(rice cakes and humus, dried fruit, bananas etc....)
If food intake really low, give nutritious drinks ie: milk,yogurt/fruit shakes (innocent drinks are yummy, soy milk drinks, rice milk etc.... (from health food shops)
good luck

Merlin Thu 14-Jul-05 21:32:50

lonelymum - i have a 4 yr old who is eating like that at mo - and he doesn't eat much at the best of times anyway.

but it is a worry isn't it? i've had mine on a tonic for about a week to boost his appetite - seen a little improvement i think, maybe when the weather cools off he will get hungry!

Lonelymum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:34:17

Which tonic have you used?

My ds2 was (was? who are you kidding LM? still is!) a fussy eater and I used to give him liquid vitamins, but I have never come across a tonic.

Merlin Thu 14-Jul-05 21:38:50

Minadex - supposedly orange flavour but DS not keen - i use a syringe and just squirt it in!

got it in Asda , or Boots.

Have used it before and it did work.

Lonelymum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:39:32

Oh yes, now that you mention it, I think I may have seen that before.

Aimsmum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:41:48

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 14-Jul-05 21:47:26

Mine is just like me at that age - a picky eater who grazes all day and doesn't eat a lot in one sitting.

She's had: an Organix bar for breakfast, a cheese toastie for lunch, a bowl of Cheerios, a pot of raisins, a chopped carrot dipped in humus, and a pot of yoghurt.

That's it. She's over 3ft. tall and skinny as a rake. Her dad is rake-like and she most takes after him.

She's drinking loads, however!

Aimsmum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:48:36

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 14-Jul-05 21:50:24

It's still hot to wee DD. She canny stand any sort of heat. A lassie after our own hearts.

She even pointed to the fan in her room when I laid her down for bed and said, 'ON!'

Can't wait to break out the jumpers and scarves again!

Aimsmum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:53:43

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 14-Jul-05 21:54:35

A nice front is coming in from the north and west. With some refreshing showers and only about 16 for a high. Ahhh.

Nbg Thu 14-Jul-05 21:56:12

My dd's not eating either. Hasn't been since this hot weathers started tbh.

Drinking lots though so she's probably full up from that.

TracyK Thu 14-Jul-05 21:56:35

my 16mo ds has only had - 3 prunes and 3 tiny squares of toast for brekkie, tiny bit of pudding for lunch, a banana and some bits of ham and breadsticks and garlic dip for dinner. Then half way through his 9oz bottle of milk in bed - he threw it all up again - all over his nice new .5 tog gro bag! Heat and teething are putting him off food I think.

Aimsmum Thu 14-Jul-05 21:59:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now