Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cold protein?

(11 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Thu 14-Jul-05 16:07:30

It's too hot! I want some sort of cold protein for tea ... can I do a pasta salad with pancetta in it? Or cheese? Or (cold) bacon? What else would I put in it?

I think I might just serve pancetta and crappy bread at this rate. It is just too flingin' flangin' hot to cook.

dinosaur Thu 14-Jul-05 16:09:23

Kidney beans? Out of a tin? I quite like them in salad...

bundle Thu 14-Jul-05 16:09:56

bacon n avocado salad?

NotQuiteCockney Thu 14-Jul-05 16:13:56

Hmm, don't know if I have kidney beans, but I do have chickpeas, and a recipe for a chickpea salad!

Which is a good idea, as I've just remembered one of the guests today is a vegetarian. What on earth has happened to my brain ...

dinosaur Thu 14-Jul-05 16:14:21

Yaaay! Chickpea salad it is then.

okapi Thu 14-Jul-05 16:15:14

tuna?

NotQuiteCockney Thu 14-Jul-05 16:16:19

I can't believe I was getting ready to serve something meaty to a vegetarian! I've lived with lots of vegetarians, I'm totally aware, and then one hot day and it all falls apart.

It'll be a strange tea, we're having fattoush (our current household salad obsession) and then this chickpea salad. Maybe offer some cheese on the side.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 14-Jul-05 16:17:28

Meaty suggestions are very welcome, though, if this heatwave keeps up I'll be looking for cold protein dishes for ages.

What do you do that's maincoursey with tuna? I only ever do that tomato and tuna pasta sauce.

And what else goes in a bacon n avocado salad?

bundle Thu 14-Jul-05 16:18:49

i'd use a creamy dressing (the pizza express type) and if you can bear it boil up a load of baby new potatoes to shove on top of a bed of spinach/watercress/rocket

bundle Thu 14-Jul-05 16:19:30

(obviously slice the avocado and fry/grill the bacon and tear into little strips. this is also nice with chicken or tuna)

PeachyClair Thu 14-Jul-05 16:57:02

I put spinach in my bacon and avocado dalad- fry bacon, add dressing (I use utbsp olive oil and 1tbsp cider vinegar), stir through baby spinach so it wilts slightly but doen't cook, then add avocado. Tres yummy!

Tuna burgers (tuna, mash potato / parsnip mix, sweetcorn, mixed then formed into patties),

tuna omelette / jacket spuds obviously

tuna casserole (really easy school taught recipe)- tuna, cooked rice, sweetcorn and / or peas, tin condensed chicken or mushroom soup, serve with a salad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now