Talk

Advanced search

Chicken marinades.

(9 Posts)
ja9 Wed 13-Jul-05 20:27:08

Would you mind sharing with me what you marinade chicken bits in before cooking them? I'm thinking for chicken salads etc. Please give me a rough idea of quantities too... i really have little clue.

TIA

swiperfox Wed 13-Jul-05 20:30:58

Last week i bought a bottle of Nando's marinade. Just a mild tomatoey one so thew kids could have it too.
I used chopped chicken breast and left it in the sauce over night then added a bit more and fried it. I out them on top of a caesar salad and it was yum!!!

bea Wed 13-Jul-05 20:40:55

I always use a lovely chinese ginger and honey marinade, it's quite sweet but very very yummy and fantastic for bbq's... or whenevr i feel like having chicken....

This will coat one chicken...
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese Wine or dry sherry
2 tsp sesame seed oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp of finely grated ginger (i use my microplane grater)
2 tbsp of clear honey or golden syrup
1 oz of sugar
1 - 2 garlic cloves crushed

marinade for 3-4 hours, then take the chicken out and roast in the oven (or bbq), use the left ove marinade for basting.... yum yum!

or this which i pinched from the Ocado recipe site... a sort of lemon rosemary chicken marinade... very nice and light!

4 Chicken Breast Fillets
3 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 unwaxed lemon
handful fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tsp paprika

Place the chicken breasts either between 2 layers of clingfilm or in a large, clean plastic food bag, seal then beat them with a rolling pin to flatten out to about a 1cm thickness.

Place 2 tablespoons of the oil, the garlic, zest and juice of the lemon, the rosemary and paprika in a shallow dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and place in the fridge and allow to marinate for 3-4 hours.

Heat a large, heavy-based frying pan or griddle pan until very hot. Add the chicken with the marinade and cook for 6-7 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked, the juices run clear and there is no pink meat. Remove from the pan and keep warm.

evansmummy Wed 13-Jul-05 20:44:22

Yoghurt, 1 inch cube of peeled grated fresh ginger, 1 crushed clove of garlic and any sort of curry powder (1 tsp). Marinate for a few hours (or overnight) then shake off marinade before cooking in oven. Can be served cold.

1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp soy sauce, tbsp sherry (or chinese cooking wine if you have it), 1 tsp five spice powder, cut chicken into strips before marinating, marinate as above then fry. Best served warm.

Or simply olive oil, lemon juice and mixed dried herbs for a couple of hours, grilled then in salad.

ja9 Wed 13-Jul-05 21:12:09

some great ideas - dh loves ginger so they will be a hit.

anything, ahem, a bit <whispers> 'simpler'?

fishfinger Wed 13-Jul-05 21:12:47

m and s bbq sauce

moondog Wed 13-Jul-05 21:13:58

Crush a garlic clove,mix with a good squeeze of lemon,some thyme (dried or fresh)and a glug of oil. Marinade for maybe an hour.

Simple enough?

ja9 Wed 13-Jul-05 21:15:15

thanks

i will use the other recipes too....

Littlefish Thu 14-Jul-05 12:50:21

I use this on sausages, chicken or carrots

Tablespoon of honey,
1/2 tablespoon of grain mustard

Put both in a mug and fill up to the top with boiling water. Stir vigorously!

Put chicken in a flat dish and pour all over. Leave for as long as you want and then cook for about half an hour. I take the dish out at this point and check to see if it's done. If not, spoon the juice back over the chicken and give it a bit more time.

When the chicken is cooked, take it out of the dish. If you want to, stir in a big spoonful of creme fraiche to thicken up any gooey juice remaining. Pour back onto chicken, or mix with chicken when cut up.

It's v v v v simple and v v v delicious. The only downside is that the cooking dish is often a nightmare to get clean!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now