Talk

Advanced search

Pasta + white sauce + cheese + ??

(17 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Jul-05 09:34:59

I made pasta with white sauce and cheese for the kids the other week, and it was a huge hit. So I'm trying to work out what veg I can put in it to make it a bit more interesting. Mushrooms? Onions? Or what?

And do I cook the veg and then make the white sauce in the same pot? Or what?

fishfinger Wed 13-Jul-05 09:35:43

bung in peas or swweet corn?
or grated crrot
hidden

also you can bung bacon un and grill it all together as a gratin

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 09:37:00

Cook your veg - Mushrooms, Ham, onions. Possibly some carrots or brocoli?

Then make your sauce up and add the veg to that and the pasta.

SaintGeorge Wed 13-Jul-05 09:37:58

I always saute the veg a little bit first, I find they taste nicer that way.

Mine will eat any combination of onions, leeks, courgettes, mushrooms, peppers (tiny bits as they can be strong). They also love it when I add sliced ham.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Jul-05 09:38:06

Oh, I don't need to hide veg, my boys like veg fine, I just found the sauce a bit boring as it was.

DS1 was so pleased with it though, he said "I haven't had this before - it's lovely!".

sorrel Wed 13-Jul-05 09:38:35

broccoli or cauliflower- make a cauliflower cheese and put past thro it.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Jul-05 09:39:09

Oh, but I have to use three pots then? Pasta, sauce, and veg? There will be complaints from the cleaning up staff (aka DH).

I used to live with a vegetarian who was forever making white sauce with veg, but I was sure he didn't go mad with the pots ...

giraffeski Wed 13-Jul-05 09:39:13

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Wed 13-Jul-05 09:39:56

Message withdrawn

anchovies Wed 13-Jul-05 09:39:59

I throw in any veg ive got, mushroom, onion, peppers, frozen sweetcorn, cherry tomatoes on top plus chicken, bacon or tuna. I mix the veg in at the end, sometimes grill/put in oven with a bit of cheese on top

its the same thing as macaroni cheese which I just put bacon and toms and sometimes breadcrumbs on top then bing in the oven

NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Jul-05 09:40:34

Broccoli sounds good. Well, all these sound good.

I have a vegetarian coming for tea on Thursday, and planning to do fattoush (our family salad craze of the moment), and pasta + cheese, but it's got to have flavour ...

anchovies Wed 13-Jul-05 09:41:52

bing?! oh and leeks and cauliflower are nice in it too. I microwave my veg in a bowl cos im lazy

sorrel Wed 13-Jul-05 09:42:21

make a lasagne with chargrilled veg( butternut sqash, aubergine, courgettes carrots and red onion) layer with cheese sauce

NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Jul-05 09:45:36

sorrel, I keep meaning to make lasagne, but not getting around to it. Isn't that even more dirty dishes, though?

sorrel Wed 13-Jul-05 09:49:28

spose so, but at least it can be done in advance. i wou make 3 or 4 at once and stick them in the freezer.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Jul-05 09:52:40

I have to get back in the habit of freezing things. I just always freeze stuff and then throw them out months later.

wavingordrowning Wed 13-Jul-05 19:15:26

Tuna. Peas. Spinach. Ham. Peppers. The world is your lobster. To save on the washing up, make a vat of the stuff and freeze it. Also, have found that having a pot of plain tomato and mascapone sauce in the fridge is very handy as you can add all sorts of things to that. Very useful emergency rations. Happy inventing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now