Talk

Advanced search

Frozen purees

(12 Posts)
evansmummy Mon 11-Jul-05 21:59:50

This might be a silly question, but I'm really not sure what to do and need some of that good ole MN advice§

Two days ago I made some dried apricot puree and put it into an ice cube tray to freeze. Unfortunately it still hasn't frozen, and I guess it's not going to (maybe something to do with the high sugar content?). Anyway, I need to know if I can keep it in the freezer and keep on serving it to my baby over the next 6 weeks or if I should chuck it, as it's not frozen. What do you think?

tillykins Mon 11-Jul-05 22:00:59

no advice but fascinated that it hasn't frozen! I thought it was just stuff with a massively high alcohol content that didn't freeze

Err, what did you puree the apricots with?

juicychops Mon 11-Jul-05 22:01:41

i would chuck it if it hasn't frozen as it will probably start to go off after a couple of days

starlover Mon 11-Jul-05 22:02:55

how strange!!!! is your freezer working?

Pixiefish Mon 11-Jul-05 22:04:13

does it just feel a bit sticky- some fruits do that even though they are frozen solid.
unless its frozen solid in the middle i wouldn't keep it.

dinny Mon 11-Jul-05 22:04:51

I'm intrigued too, Evansmummy - how did you puree dried apricots?

If it hasn't frozen then I wouldn't keep it for 6 weeks.

evansmummy Tue 12-Jul-05 13:37:41

How exciting that my dried apricots are so intriguing!!

I just simmered them with some water then put through the blender with a bit of the cooking water. I know the freezer works cos I froze pea and courgette puree the same day (I've been busy!) And it's definitely not frozen, it's sort of like a really thick paste, a bit like plasticine.

Suppose I'll have to throw it out then, shame cos he really enjoyed it. Oh well...

Pomi Tue 12-Jul-05 15:53:56

Dried appricot puree, I have never heard of it. Dont know the freezing thing but i will give it a try but will mix it with other fruits. What else do you puree?

FionaJT Tue 12-Jul-05 19:32:16

I'm glad you started this thread cos the same thing has happened to me and I'm afraid I just assumed it would be ok, like ice-creams with alcohol in . My dd really liked it too. Did you get the receipe from the Suzannah Olivier book?

tomkitty Tue 12-Jul-05 20:37:26

Mine did that too. When they were partially frozen I dug them out with a knife onto a plate, then put the plate in the freezer. They froze solid that way. the next batch I blended with prunes but still had the same problem.

Littlefish Wed 13-Jul-05 09:09:34

Mine stayed sticky as well, but they seemed frozen in the middle. I just left mine in the ice cube tray and dug them out with a fork as I needed them. Must just be a dried apricot and prune thing!

FionaJT, I'm using the Susannah Olivier book as well - some great recipes! The fish curry with coconut is lovely - have you done it yet?

Because the apricot puree is very sweet, I sometimes use it in a mix if my other purees (peaches for instance) have turned out to be a little bit sharp. My dd loves porridge with a cube each of peach and apricot stirred in. Yum.

evansmummy Wed 13-Jul-05 18:44:23

I'm using Annabel Karmel's book, and while she didn't say or not if it could be frozen, there's another recipe with dried apricot (with apple and pear) that can be frozen, so I just assumed apricots would work by themselves.

Gutted that I didn't read your post before tomkitty, I've chucked them all away now. Will try the dried apricot puree with other fruits, see how that goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now