Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5th b'day party - what I want them to eat or what they want?

(68 Posts)
PennyLess Mon 11-Jul-05 21:08:48

Have got 12 girls for party this Friday. Hate junk. Want to do all homemade and also eat cake as part of birthday tea.
Will any of them touch it? Should I just give them want they want ie crisps and fairy cakes?

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 21:09:46

yes I agree
but give them a bit of crap
IME it easier to do a meal
cnat you do pizza?

Angeliz Mon 11-Jul-05 21:09:54

How about a mix?
Healthy and crap?

(See what gets left at the end!)

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:10:04

what they want! otherwise you will have tons of leftovers... trust me

PennyLess Mon 11-Jul-05 21:10:40

I just hate it. It doesn't feel right.

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:10:47

do homemade junk.

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Jul-05 21:11:27

Well, as someone who stood and read the label of every cake in Sainsbury's last week, trying in vain to find a cake without hydrogenated veg oil, I'd say go for middle ground and make a cake so you know it's not full of crap. I ended up with a Tarte au citron, being the only one I could find without hydrogenated oil. Small sandwiches with crusts cut off needn't have anything horrible in them, ditto decent crisps, strawberries and decent ice cream, shortbread, good biscuits. Delicious doesn't have to = crap imo, it just needs more planning.

PennyLess Mon 11-Jul-05 21:11:51

so... homemade pizza and...

Lonelymum Mon 11-Jul-05 21:12:03

What is it exactly that you want to do? Don't go overboard. I always remember the first children's party I hosted and all my lovingly made sandwiches and other home made things were rejected. I swear some kids only ate crisps. I was so upset. Now I just give them what I know they will eat as I can't abide food wastage.

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 21:12:16

tatre au citron! fgs you ponce

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:12:30

and more work. but i agree.

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 21:12:35

potato wedges
garlic bread

and ice cream

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Jul-05 21:12:39

So you could buy nice pizza and nice bread and butter and make a cake and I reckon they'd love it and not even know it wasn't crap iyswim.

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Jul-05 21:13:05

I am a ponce, I know cod. It was for dp's birthday though, not a child's!

PennyLess Mon 11-Jul-05 21:13:08

And what do you reckon about the cake... will they eat it? dd wants one with rasps and cream in the middle so it won't really keep.

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 21:13:16

<baits>
ponceyponce-ponce

SoupDragon Mon 11-Jul-05 21:13:27

What they want. You can manage to make what they want healthier than it can be (iyswim!)

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:13:36

but consider the fact that junk once in awhile does no harm.

right?!

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 21:13:41

oh fair enough
I make a choc cake and bung smatries and footballs onit
they love it every year

QZebra Mon 11-Jul-05 21:15:13

I'd go for home-made (but then I am a food snob), as tasty as you know you can make it, and still looking like "fun food" (home-made pizza, etc.) They will be too excited to eat much anyway.

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 21:15:36

dont oput greent hings on it though

sansouci Mon 11-Jul-05 21:15:49

that's it, fishfinger. fishfingers perfect example of "junk", or Heinz baked beans. junk with some nutritional value.

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Jul-05 21:16:22

Of course they'll eat home made cake, definitely. But if you make it it won't have loads of crap in it and it will actually be reasonably healthy with strawberries in it! I don't think the odd bit of crap is the end of the world but I do mostly think that healthy doesn't have to mean horrible! I do buy crap for kids' parties sometimes, honestly. Iced gems are fine as far as hydrogenated oil goes btw.

Cod, I know, I know, I know, I am as poncey as a poncey thing on a poncey day in a poncey wind

PennyLess Mon 11-Jul-05 21:16:22

It's not a "harm" issue. It's because it makes me feel sick to serve it. It's not good food and I want to give them nice food. Not because I have this illusion that it'll be appreciated but because I have high standards for myself.
Was going to do rolled up tortillas (then chopped) instead of bread just for a change.

WideWebWitch Mon 11-Jul-05 21:17:42

Don't give them something they've never had before and won't recognise, you're setting yourself up for yuk imo! Pizza is fine! Crisps are fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now