Talk

Advanced search

chocolate

(14 Posts)
jen93 Wed 06-Jul-05 13:06:47

at what age can babies have chocolate? dd is 9 months mil said that it is ok to give her chocolate buttons is she too young?

almostanangel Wed 06-Jul-05 13:07:46

why? why start her on it?

desperatehousewife Wed 06-Jul-05 13:07:51

i waited til 1 year. I reckon the longer you can hold off the better - once they get a taste for it...that's it!

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 06-Jul-05 13:08:15

jess has been having a couple of choccy buttins on and off for months and months - she is 11 months now. No harm in moderation - jess gets them about once a week and only 5 at a time

Lucycat Wed 06-Jul-05 13:09:02

Accept the choc from the mil, say you'll give it to her later, then you eat it when she's gone to bed!! not that I eat my dd's chocolate of course.....

Twiglett Wed 06-Jul-05 13:09:33

don't see the point there's no value in giving chocolate to a baby apart from developing a sweet tooth and a desire for chocolate

give her some strawberries or apricots or raisins instead

the only person who benefits from giving a baby chocolate is the person giving it feeling like they're 'spoiling the child'

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 06-Jul-05 13:10:17

i know - im a bad mummy!

almostanangel Wed 06-Jul-05 13:10:58

bad bad mummy

Twiglett Wed 06-Jul-05 13:35:03

my 13 month old chows down on muffins and cake quite happily though .. but its different with your 2nd

with your 1st you're supposed to do everything by the book .. with the 2nd you figure they don't actually break that easily SNURK

tassis Wed 06-Jul-05 13:35:19

eat them while you can. she'll not share them for long!

Seona1973 Wed 06-Jul-05 13:49:25

Found this on another website:

Can't eat Beef, Mad cow....

Can't eat chicken . bird flu

Can't eat eggs ... Salmonella

Can't eat pork ... fears that bird flu will infect piggies

Can't eat fish ... heavy metals in the
waters has poisoned their meat

Can't eat fruits and veggies ... insecticides and herbicides

Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M

M

M

I believe that leaves Chocolate!!!!!!!!

Chocolate is a Vegetable
Chocolate is derived from cocoa beans.

Bean = vegetable.

Sugar is derived from either sugar cane or sugar BEETS.

Both of them are plants, in the vegetable category.

Thus, chocolate is a vegetable.

To go one step further, chocolate candy bars also contain milk, which is dairy. So candy bars are a health food.

Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.
-------------------------------
All joking aside, a little bit of chocolate in moderation is not going to hurt your lo. You get to eat the rest of the packet as well so that is a bonus too!!

Listmaker Wed 06-Jul-05 13:51:14

My MIL did the same thing with dd1 and I was very sniffy about it and didn't give her the chocolate (probably did eat it myself!!) but as someone else said with dd2 it was a totally different story - she had chocolate from quite early on and which one has the more sweet tooth?? dd1 of course!!

cardy Wed 06-Jul-05 14:11:05

My dd2 was about 12 months at Easter and she had some chocy then. Ideally I wouldn't have given her chocolate so early on but with dd1 (3.5) having it it was almost impossible not to. A think a little now and again won't do any harm. At least at this age you are in control and she can't keep asking for it.

Pomi Wed 06-Jul-05 14:26:30

Why every mil gives chocolate? My one, she has been giving ds (18 months) chocolate and crisps for many months now. Once she gave ds2 when he was only two months a cheap loly and i felt like killing her. I believe the longer you delay giving these things the better it is for your child.

Can anyone tell me what is the polite way of stopping her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now