Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BEEF......

(19 Posts)
mandyc66 Tue 05-Jul-05 10:31:22

Do you still eat beef? Is there still need for concern? Were you ever concerened?

QueenFlounce Tue 05-Jul-05 10:33:31

Yes, Don't know and Nope!

mandyc66 Tue 05-Jul-05 10:34:22

short and to the point!!!!

Marina Tue 05-Jul-05 10:34:43

Yes, yes and yes.

For many years have only bought organic beef from reliable supermarket (Waitrose) or named British farm.

QueenFlounce Tue 05-Jul-05 10:38:04

I only eat Scottish Beef anyway.

starlover Tue 05-Jul-05 10:38:42

no (vegetarian)... used to, and figured if i was gonna get BSE i'd be infected by now... so not really bothered!

lilaclotus Tue 05-Jul-05 10:40:48

no, been vegetarian for 11 years.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Tue 05-Jul-05 10:55:08

love beef, never stopped eating it, and dont beleive there to be a risk anymore!

roosmum Tue 05-Jul-05 10:57:34

veggie here too, haven't eaten it for YEARS & wd really hate to have to now i think.

starlover Tue 05-Jul-05 10:58:33

roosmum... will ds be veggie too?

IlanaK Tue 05-Jul-05 11:15:29

Yes - we still eat it. BUt after reading "Meat" by High Fearnley Whittingstall of River Cottage fame, and understanding how meat is farmed and SHOULD be farmed, we only buy direct from the farmer and have got to know what is ethical and what is not. Some of what we buy is organic, but it doesn't have to be. Its about how they treat their animals that is important.

TinyGang Tue 05-Jul-05 11:17:42

Dh and I eat beef/steak etc (love it) when we're out but we don't have it at home with the children.

We've just avoided giving to them in the first place and afaik they have not ever had it. It all began when dd was born 6 yrs ago and there was so much in the press at that time about cjd and bse etc etc.

As time has gone by, everything has calmed right down though, no major cjd epidemics have occurred that we were told might happen and farming/slaughtering practices have now changed and improved anyway. Buying good quality beef does not appear to pose a greater risk than any other type of meat now that I can see, and to be honest I have been reassessing how I feel about it all.

I would like to start having beef and steak at home again. Dd has asked me a couple of times why we don't have it - try explaining BSE to a 6 yr old!

I say they haven't had it 'as far as I know' - well, I'm sure the little ones haven't, but dd has the occasional school dinner or is out and about socially and I cannot totally monitor what she has in those situations.

We don't have a lot in the way of burgers anyway - but bse wasn't the only reason I didn't want the children to have them. As they get older though, even the occasioanl burger is going to become harder and harder to avoid. I just hope things are safer now and that the lessons were learned from bse. Even now though some depressing thing still pops up in the media from time to time about meat products - not just beef - which make your toes curl.

snafu Tue 05-Jul-05 11:19:09

Yes, had some rare roast beef last night and it was fabulous.

Not if you buy properly traceable meat.

Ummm, no, not really. Wasn't it beef on the bone that was the real problem? The big hoo-ha came about in the days before I really cared how something got onto my plate, anyway...

mandyc66 Tue 05-Jul-05 22:12:18

I gave it up when the first scare came when I was pregnant with ds1 now almost 15!!!! My ex has asked if he can start giving it to the children and i honestly dont know!!! DD and DS2 dont want to eat it and I havnt gven the younger 2 it either! Am I worrying about nothing?

QueenOfQuotes Tue 05-Jul-05 22:14:02

Yes - and did so throught the BSE 'scare' - I disctinctly remember having a 'vote' in our (very small) boarding house in Edinburgh as to who would still eat beef and who wouldnt.

26 hands went up to say "no"

1 hand went up to say "yes" - me!

mandyc66 Wed 06-Jul-05 21:16:04

so I guess i am the only one not eating beef?!!!

sandyballs Mon 11-Jul-05 14:50:59

Our beef is now the safest in the world, due to the strict regulations imposed since the BSE epidemic.

Pomi Mon 11-Jul-05 16:02:55

We being muslims eat only Halal meat. Does anyone know that beef on halal meat shops is good or not. Have not eaten since I came here in uk.

mandyc66 Mon 11-Jul-05 20:20:10

I hope its only beef you havnt eaten or you will be really hungry!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now