Talk

Advanced search

Tasty Simple Food for Wannabe Vegetarian

(15 Posts)
charliecat Mon 04-Jul-05 19:12:13

My dd (7) has went right off meat since her vegetarian friend told her all about whats what and where it comes from, so a fussy eater already ahs now turned into a noneater.
Any ideas?
I am a vegetarian myself but just eat normal things minus the meat, she didnt eat much before so for the past few weeks its been salad and spuds
HELP!

Magscat Mon 04-Jul-05 19:29:35

I have a fab book called 'Baby & Child Vegetarian Recipes' by Carol Timperley. Published by Ebury Press. It's mainly aimed at taking you through weaning but there's lots of fun recipes that older kids would like too.

Also good is 'Veggie Food for Kids' by Sara Lewis from Hamlyn.

Personally I think it's hard to do 'traditional English' food veggie but there's loads you can do with pasta dishes or Mexican or does she eat salads - you can do great Feta cheese & tomato salads.

Beware of plain Tofu - it's pretty tastelss IMO but Cauldron Foods do a really nice 'Golden Marinated' Tofu that's great in stir fry. There's recipes on that site too.

You can get loads of veggie recipes on the web. I'll find some more links for you.

Magscat Mon 04-Jul-05 19:33:19

try this

or this

Byn Mon 04-Jul-05 21:27:06

Cubed extra firm tofu and tomatoes, chili flakes, and a little salt or a salty sauce like worcestershire fried in a dribble of oil until the tomatoes' skins start to split served in toasted pita bread or over rice. You can try hiding left over lentils or beans in these as well.

Byn Mon 04-Jul-05 21:28:09

oh - Worcestershire sauce isn't vegetarian BTW, it has fish in it

gigglinggoblin Mon 04-Jul-05 21:29:15

i am v lazy veggie. use lots of quorn sausages and burgers. ds loves omlettes with lots of cheese and crunchy peppers. spag bol with quorn mince always good

helsi Mon 04-Jul-05 21:31:50

I have 2 vegetarian cook books in excellent condition if you are interested for £5.00 plus p&p.

essbee Mon 04-Jul-05 21:32:21

Message withdrawn

lilaclotus Mon 04-Jul-05 21:34:26

i'm with gigglinggoblin. there's loads of quorn in our freezer.

Alannah Mon 04-Jul-05 21:53:42

Pata bows with pesto, both basil and sundried tomato always goes down well here. Felafel are also excellent for kids. The Quorn swedish meat(less) balls are actually really tasty and great in a satay sauce

Tommy Mon 04-Jul-05 22:08:24

Tesco and Sainsburys do veggie hot dog sausages which do in microwave in about 2 mins - don't know what DS1 would do without them.

MarsLady Mon 04-Jul-05 22:19:45

do be careful of Haribos won't you. DD1, my non meating eating, veg hating darling, recently told me that she couldn't eat them cos they contained gelatine. But not to worry cos Sainsbury's sold the vegetarian Haribos. I PMSL, but not whilst she was there cos clearly even I am not that evil. What I actually said was "well if you wish to waste your pocket money on that then that's up to you, but know that it will cost far more than ordinary ones".

helsi Mon 04-Jul-05 22:22:28

Quorn Lamb Style Grills are delicious!!

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 22:25:48

Quorn or Tesco's equivalent makes up a fair proportion in my freezer too for lazy meal days. Quorn mince for veggie lasgne - just use the quorn in place of minced beef. Same with shepherd's pie.

Quorn chicken pieces are virtually the same as tofu, need to be marinated in a stir fry sauce or cooked as a casserole to give them flavour though.

charliecat Tue 05-Jul-05 16:26:38

Thank You very much everyone we will see what goes down and what gets snorted at!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now