Talk

Advanced search

Skipping cereal as first food?

(12 Posts)
jambot Mon 04-Jul-05 11:38:54

My DD is really not keen on the rice cereal. Have been trying for over a week with her now and she hates the stuff. Has anyone left out the cereal in favour of offering a veggie or fruit first?

LIZS Mon 04-Jul-05 11:40:42

How old is she ? dd went straight onto pureed fruit and veg at about 20 weeks, if it was watery I'd put a spoon of baby rice in to thicken it.

cupcakes Mon 04-Jul-05 11:43:01

my dd went straight onto pureed carrots then pureed fruit and she was more than happy with that. I perservered with rice with my first (ds) but couldn't really see the point afterwards. If they're ready to wean they're ready for real food!

kama Mon 04-Jul-05 11:47:21

Message withdrawn

lilaclotus Mon 04-Jul-05 11:48:30

i never gave dd baby rice. just fruit & veg purees at first.

AnnieQ Mon 04-Jul-05 11:52:18

I went straight on to fruit purees, I just thought that if I was going to give a baby food, then it should be proper food that actually tasted of something.

QueenEagle Mon 04-Jul-05 12:00:19

I went straight ot the flavoured savoury stuff first. Baby rice always seems a waste of time to me.

jambot Mon 04-Jul-05 12:27:44

What is the point of the baby rice? Is it mainly because it's non-allergenic or does it have important nutritional value? I have been mixing it with a spoonful of pears to make it slightly sweeter as she really hated it before that and to be honest I don't blame her. I mean, have you tasted the stuff, it's like wallpaper paste!

Nemo1977 Mon 04-Jul-05 12:29:24

my ds hated the rice so went onto pfruit n veg

jambot Mon 04-Jul-05 12:29:59

Also, she is 17 weeks. Yes I know the whole 6 month story but I have a big child who is the equivalent in height and weight of a 5 and a half month old. She is already up to the max formula recommended and is looking for more.

Kelly1978 Mon 04-Jul-05 12:34:00

yep. babies thought it vile and so did I. Swede and carrot puree was their fav first food. They liked semolina too, much nicer than rice.

norash Mon 04-Jul-05 20:53:15

Jambot, I like baby rice and Kieran loves it. I blend papaya, mango and bananas and he loves it. But then again Kieran will eat anything.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: