Talk

Advanced search

Rhubarb - any easy recipes?

(13 Posts)
teeavee Sun 03-Jul-05 15:29:00

I would like to hear of any simple recipes for a rhubarb dessert - pastry-makers abstain, please!

TIA

AnnieQ Sun 03-Jul-05 15:35:20

Whip a pot of double cream until stiff, mix in a tub of mascarpone cheese and then stir in stewed rhubarb.

KatyMac Sun 03-Jul-05 15:37:15

Stewed Rhubard topped with bread crumbs (Mixed with a bit of sugar) and topped with knobs of butter. In the oven until golden brown....mmmmm...Rhubard charlotte

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 15:38:40

I love rhubarb and custard and have just discovered that real custard is as easy to make as Birds.

teeavee Sun 03-Jul-05 16:48:01

what's the recipe for real custard, please?

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 18:58:44

NUTMEG CUSTARD: (Nutmeg bit is optional)

2 egg yolks
30g/1oz sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
290ml/half a pint of milk
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1. Beat together egg yolks, sugar and cornflour.
2. Slowly heat milk and nutmeg in saucepan until steaming. Slowly pour milk onto egg mixture stirring all the time.
3. pour custard back into pan and stir over low heat 'til it thickens enough to caot the back of a wooden spoon.

Great with rhubarb.

Twiglett Sun 03-Jul-05 19:00:09

well it has to be rhubarb crumble with custard doesn't it?

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 19:05:18

Rhubarb and ginger go really well together. Stick in a bit of ginger powder to the rhubarb when you stew it.

nooka Sun 03-Jul-05 20:05:48

Even better with stem ginger. Just cut a couple of bits up and pour in some of the syrup. Make sure you don't add any water when you are stewing the rhubarb, then sprinkle some brown sugar over the top and stick in the oven. I just like to have it hot with greek yogurt. Yummy (and dh and kids don't like it so it's all for me!)

My mother makes a pudding with rhubarb, take a baking tray, just cut up the rhubarb, sprinkle with sugar, add nutmeg or ginger, and then spoon a sponge cake mix over the top. It's lovely hot or cold, with cream or yougurt (probably good with home made custard too - extra special if you add some vanilla seeds)

popsycal Sun 03-Jul-05 20:36:34

someone once made creme brulee with rhubarb in the bottom

PeachyClair Sun 03-Jul-05 21:41:40

Stew it and mix it with greek yogurt (and honey if still sour), or what i do when i can't dispose of it (dh hates it, I loved it until Mum suggested it to bring on labour 2 years ago when I was overdue and she had a hol booked! Worked for her and my nan, not me unfortunately, she was sunning herself in Scotland when baby arrived) is make a homemade jam from rhubard, apples, gooseberries (or whatever I have tbh), jam sugar and whack it in the breadmaker on my jam setting. OK, sugar content high but at least I know EXACTLY what is in it, unlike shop bought stuff.

My Dad makes an excellent rhubarb cake (can you see a family trend...) by using an apple cake recipe and just swapping the fruit.

PennyLess Sun 03-Jul-05 21:44:14

delia's rhubarb crumble ice cream... yum.
Rhubarb crumble using dig. biscuits or gingernuts.

teeavee Sun 03-Jul-05 23:01:31

yum yum, thanks so much for all the ideas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now