Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is actually wrong with minced white fish?

(24 Posts)
colditz Tue 28-Jun-05 17:08:01

I eat whitebait quite happily, they are whole fish, what could be in minced white fish that isn't in whitebait? It can't be anything harmful can it?

morocco Tue 28-Jun-05 17:09:47

what are you on about colditz? (in nicest possible sense)

katierocket Tue 28-Jun-05 17:11:44

she means minced fish fingers I think. Which are supposed to be 'worse' than fillet fishfingers. I think colditz is asking why they are worse.

don't know the answer sorry, can only assume it's because you don't actually know what they've minced up.

colditz Tue 28-Jun-05 17:12:04

fish fingers, there seems to be an anathema towards the ones that have minced fish as opposed to fillet, and I don't know why

SueW Tue 28-Jun-05 17:12:35

mechanically recovered?

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 17:12:46

do you know, i much prefer the ones with minced fish,

can't stand the fillet ones. yuck

katierocket Tue 28-Jun-05 17:13:08

can you have mechanically recovered fish?!

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 17:13:17

pretty sure you can't mechanically recover fish.

katierocket Tue 28-Jun-05 17:14:56

just had a google. I think it's because they're filled with 'fillers' which bulk out the fingers, and..err..that's not good.

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 17:15:12

eyeballs, gills

mechanically recovered meat and fish have 'all' the bits in it

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 17:15:36

plus bulking agents of course

katierocket Tue 28-Jun-05 17:16:13

eeeeooowwwww..

I see your point about whitebait though colditz but I think that's probably different. I imagine with minced fish they just mince any old floor sweepings, well not quite by you know what I mean.

colditz Tue 28-Jun-05 17:21:13

But there isn't going to be any part of the fish in there that isn't in a whole fish! IYSWIM

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 17:23:18

true (apart from bulking agents, injected water, salt, e numbers etc dependent on manufacturer)

oh yes and the bones, gills, fins, eyeballs, brains .. you know the 'whole fish and nothing but the fish'

WigWamBam Tue 28-Jun-05 17:25:30

And a whole cod has a lot more of those bits than a whitebait has!

soapbox Tue 28-Jun-05 17:27:02

They extract the saw dust from the air when they slice up the fish fingers (they are sliced from frozen blocks of filleted fish) and then pipe it back into the fish. Anything else airborne is obviously piped in as well. Having said that factories tend to be very clean and sterile.

The ones with the fillers in are horrid though!

colditz Tue 28-Jun-05 17:27:29

But water won't actually do you any harm, and all the others could be found in the batter anyway

morocco Tue 28-Jun-05 17:27:32

tastiest part, the eyeballs, so I have heard

it does make more sense now - I was kind of imagining 'minced fish' like 'minced meat' and thinking 'I've never seen that on sale at waitrose'

oh Ok I only shop at waitrose after 5 to get the 9p bread, but I thought it might be nice to say 'when I'm at waitrose . . .'

colditz Tue 28-Jun-05 17:28:42

WWB, proportionatly not though. Cod probably has more white meat

lovecloud Tue 28-Jun-05 17:30:27

the eyes are very nutricious

WigWamBam Tue 28-Jun-05 17:34:21

It also has more tail, more and larger blood vessels, larger eyes, organs, gills, bones and so on.

The food trade actually calls mechanically recovered fish "slurry" - which just about sums it up.

soapbox Tue 28-Jun-05 17:38:38

In most instances the fish is filleted (heads off/ tails off etc) at sea and frozen. It is then sold on in this frozen state. The odd bit of muck gets in, but not much - the filleters are seriously good at their jobs.

More likely is that the odd non-species fish makes it into the mix.

The blocks are enormous - about 10ft cubed.

God, my name should be Cod at this rate

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 17:39:17

nah soapbox still works

soapbox Tue 28-Jun-05 17:39:59

Typing too good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now