Talk

Advanced search

How do I cook Lamb Shanks?

(10 Posts)
Squirrel3 Tue 28-Jun-05 14:41:28

I'm not the best cook in the world and dp loves lamb shanks but I've never cooked them before, I'm sure there are some really excellent cooks out there who know how...

Squirrel3 Tue 28-Jun-05 15:10:14

Come on somebody must know, told dp I'd cook them this evening, thought I might roast them (they are already marinaded (sp?) then I'd serve them with garlic and rosemary potatoes with steamed baby sweetcorn, carrots and mangetout.

But how long do I roast them and at what gas mark?

jessicasmummy Tue 28-Jun-05 15:12:26

Gas mark 5-6

need to know more about the meat - crown or cut?!

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 15:16:56

Preparation time: 2 to 2/12 hours. The trick to delicious lamb shanks is to sear the shanks first to seal in the flavor.

2 Lamb shanks
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups chopped vegetables including carrots, celery, potatoes
1 cup stock or boiling water with a bullion cube
Seasoning - salt and pepper, thyme, oregano, rosemary, one bay leaf

Optional, and highly recommended:
3/4 cup raisins, soaked in sherry for a couple hours
1/2 cup of fresh mint leaves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Sear in a tightly covered casserole dish on both sides until golden brown. Remove shanks to a dish. Heat oil in casserole dish until hot; add onions, garlic, and vegetables and saute for 5 minutes. Add shanks, boiling stock, seasoning, and raisins. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 or 2 hours or until shanks are tender. Remove shanks, strip meat from bones and return meat to the pan.

Serve with fresh mint leaves as garnish.

Serves 4.

jessicasmummy Tue 28-Jun-05 15:18:39

well done twig - dh is a chef and wanted a few more details re the emat before he gave advice!

Squirrel3 Tue 28-Jun-05 15:20:32

This is where I make myself look realy stupid, crown or cut????

Don't know, it says on the pack lamb leg shanks, there are two and the weight is 0.990.kg.

I don't usually cook, its dp who is the cook in our house, does it show? lol

jessicasmummy Tue 28-Jun-05 15:25:49

they are already cut.... you can buy a lamb shank whole that hasnt been cut up.

go with twiggies idea

Squirrel3 Tue 28-Jun-05 15:26:32

Thanks Twig.

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 15:45:16

I copied and pasted that recipe btw

I am a firm believer in the slower you cook meat cuts like shanks the better they taste

a casserole dish is a big winner .. just pile it all in put on lid stick it in oven on low and voila

bundle Tue 28-Jun-05 15:45:44

nice with prunes too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now