Talk

Advanced search

SOYA

(9 Posts)
Louise1970 Thu 23-Jun-05 21:49:11

Can someone tell me the story in the news about soya. That was broadcasted yesterday. I missed most of it and only heard the bit about it effecting boys sperm. What type of soya is this etc??

starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 21:50:17

heard it vaguely in the news but don't really know any details... just remember someone pointing out that people in Japan have a diet very, very high in soya... and they don't have particularly high levels of male infertility!

Louise1970 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:33:48

true.. But by the time it gets to the UK and SMA etc gets there hands on it. God knows what state it goes into. The japanese probably have it pretty fresh....

pupuce Thu 23-Jun-05 22:38:17

it's not new at all, it's been talked about for at least 20 years. Soya is full of phyto-oestrogens and there is a question mark as to its effect on male sperm...

jamiesam Fri 24-Jun-05 22:12:55

Read Weds Guardian before bed last night and wondered if MN had seen this article.

There's a fertility conference on in Copenhagen and one of the papers presented suggested that if women eat soya, then the sperm can find it more difficult to 'dock' (their word) with the egg. Conclusion was to lay off soya products if you are ttc (ladies - not chaps) for those few days of the month when you think you're fertile. Warned that soya is present in bread, milk, margarine, ready meals and sauce.

Another Prof in the audience made Starlovers point. Pointed out that this was a lab test/result - which aren't always replicated in real life.

(PS - if you are ttc, another prof said 'abstinence for more than three days is doing more harm to the semen. People sometimes abstain from sex for weeks, thinking they are doing good, but I think probably they would better to have sex every two days, rather than every two weeks.' So bugger ovulation tests girls, and at it like bunnies )

Louise1970 Sat 25-Jun-05 19:47:29

Thanks for all your coments on Soya. i do have 2 babies under 19 months so don't think i will be going there in the near futre. Jamiesam I was told an old wives tale similar to your ps note, years ago. If you are trying to have a baby and want more chances on having a girl you need to do it constantly for about 4 days before ovulating and whilst, so that the sperm thins out. Otherwise you will have a boy. Some peolpe believe it and some don't. All my friends did it his way and got the children they wanted apart from one.

charleepeters Sat 25-Jun-05 20:28:12

so does this mean ds cant have soya at all or should i just limit it?

Louise1970 Mon 27-Jun-05 16:19:12

When i was pregnant in 2003 i remember reading an arcticle saying that avoid soya infant formula. It has been raised again and doesn't make it clear. My children are on Nanny Goats Formula. It is great. My son has goat yoghurts and Soya. When he is ill and advised not to have any dairy, i then give him Adults Soya milk. Alpro.

jayzmummy Mon 27-Jun-05 16:34:08

Our nutritionalist told us about the long term use of soya products and connectuion with low sperm count.

We alternate betwen oatmilk, rice milk and soya.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now