Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

melon and apple?

(17 Posts)
TrinaJ Thu 23-Jun-05 21:04:36

My ds is 7 months, been weaned for a while. can i give him uncooked pureed apple?
Also can melon be given raw? does it freeze and puree ok? - never used melon before fancied trying something new!

AnnieQ Thu 23-Jun-05 21:06:45

You can't really puree apple raw, it goes all bitty, dry and brown.

Melon is fine raw, it goes quite sloppy when you puree it though. It will freeze.

TrinaJ Thu 23-Jun-05 21:09:42

Is that why pear goes brown too - 'cos it's not cooked? Sorry not very good at cooking .
will melon mash instead, if it goes sloppy when pureed?

AnnieQ Thu 23-Jun-05 21:21:46

Yes, you need to cook pear before you puree it as well.

You can mash the melon, if it does too sloppy when you puree it try mixing it with a bit of baby rice to thicken it.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 23-Jun-05 21:24:10

Melon, particularly watermelon, is a good finger food, too. My DS2 has loved it since before he was 8 months, and gets very excited when we get one out and start chopping. (He's 9 months now.)

TrinaJ Thu 23-Jun-05 21:27:41

Isn't it slimy and difficult to hold?

NotQuiteCockney Fri 24-Jun-05 07:19:51

Yeah, a little. It works better with a tray. I also leave the rind on, which maybe helps? We cut it into spears, like very big chips.

My DS2 hates spoon food, but loves finger food, so we find lots of things are good finger foods. Watermelon is pretty porous, though, which makes it less likely to cause choking, I think.

hermykne Fri 24-Jun-05 08:32:40

trinaj
melon is a hard food to digest, even for adults, esp if eaten alongside other things, same goes for apple puree, its one of the items on the BART list for constipation in babies
bananas apple sauce rice and something with T cant remember but if u do a search it ll come up.

why not give peaches, mangos, nectarines etc instead,

NotQuiteCockney Fri 24-Jun-05 10:11:10

Hmm, I thought the BART diet was for messed up stomachs - easy things to digest, not hard. Bananas, rice, apples, toast, is what it is, by the way. (I've done a bit of a websearch, but not found much. Some people say it's a diet for after throwing up, which is what I use it for.)

Apples do fight constipation, but bananas don't (in my experience ... I know some people find they do).

At any rate, I'd say a 7-month-old should be able to digest all these? I know mine does fine with them.

Peaches, mangoes and nectarines are all really good finger foods, too.

TrinaJ Fri 24-Jun-05 12:29:07

Thanks. I agree with you notquitecockney, I used the BART diet after dd had gastro flu! she also finds bananas don't cause constipation.
I've tried the other foods and ds loves anything,But i hate trying to remove skins from peaches etc..! just fancied a change too.

tiffini Fri 24-Jun-05 12:31:15

you could puree melon together with banana.

LIZS Fri 24-Jun-05 12:32:28

You could grate apple and mix with plain yoghurt but need to eat quickly or it will go brown - won't freeze well. dd couldn't eat raw grated stuff for ages though as it made her reflux worse.

hermykne Fri 24-Jun-05 12:51:40

melon digestion

its the brat not bart diet, got it wrong

use to have a doc called bart

collision Fri 24-Jun-05 13:01:25

My Ds (7months) LOVES melon. I blend it and mix with creme fraiche or yoghurt.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 24-Jun-05 21:09:34

hermyke, what is that website?

It appears to have poo pictures. And some interest in home colonics?

I am not sure I trust them about melons, I'm afraid ...

hermykne Fri 24-Jun-05 21:42:02

NQC, i didnt check out the rest of the site - sounds a bit freaky

but the thing about melons is true
i sometimes try to eat a la Dr Hay, did u ever hear of him, its the hay diet, dont mix carbohydrate and proteins and then theres neutral foods, butters allowed, practically everything, its food combining really to aid digestion and burning excess calories. and it was there i learnt about melons.

TrinaJ Tue 28-Jun-05 08:30:58

tiffini, can it be frozen if mixed with banana?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now