Talk

Advanced search

marinade recipes please

(11 Posts)
happycat Thu 23-Jun-05 20:44:45

Hi i am having freinds over for a b.b.q on saturday and need some simple recipes for some marinades please? I would be really grateful

happycat Thu 23-Jun-05 21:15:12

o.k i am a saddo perhaps i should have named this thread SEX SEX SEX to catch your attentions so here i am bumping up my boring but desperate question.xxxxxxxx

march29 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:18:53

ok i will put u out of your misery!

try olive oil, lemon,garlic and oregano or rosemary with salt and pepper. its quite nice. i use it on chicken.

moondog Thu 23-Jun-05 22:26:09

Good one for ribs:

tomato sauce (or sweet chilli sauce),mustard,honey,soy,ginger,garlic

To be more Chinese,omit the mustard and put in some 5 spice powder.

Honey or brown sugar is essential-allows it to caramelise slightly.

Good one for Thai style kebabs:

Soy (ideally sweet Indonesian soy sauce),splash of nam pla (fish sauce) lime juice,chilli,lemon grass,ginger

Peanut sauce to go with it:

Fry onions very slowly on a low heat until caramelised. Add few big spoonfuls of peanut butter,good dash of soy (for colour),tin of coconut milk and the marinade dregs and boil up.

Good one for Indian style chicken:

Good quality curry paste (eg Pataks) mixed with yoghurt and some lime juice.

That do ya?

happycat Thu 23-Jun-05 22:26:49

thanks march29 for that I will give that a go and post about more interesting things next time.Anymore?

happycat Thu 23-Jun-05 22:27:54

thanks moondog

lucy5 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:31:24

Blend yoghurt garlic fresh mint corriander and cumin, great with lamb.

Honey and wholegrain mustard

Sounds revolting but strawberry jam and whole grain mustard. Yummmmm!

not a marinade but always goes down well is burger meat or shop bought fresh burgers stuffed with blue cheese. Plonk a lump of blue cheese into middle of burger, roll into a ball and chuck on bbq.

moondog Thu 23-Jun-05 22:31:38

A lot of stuff is just great grilled on its own,with a squeeze of lemon when it's done. I'm thinking sardines and mussels especially.

(Oh and I think marinading is a fascinating topic! )

moondog Thu 23-Jun-05 22:32:27

Jam and mustard????
Wow!!!!

(Can see how it might work though....)

lucy5 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:34:25

moondog its lovely but you have to make sure it has seeds in and is a good quality jam.

WideWebWitch Thu 23-Jun-05 22:34:46

Here you are, low cal marinade for quail/poussin from Fat Girl Slim recipe book:

Ingredients for 2:

4 oven ready quail

FOR THE MARINADE
3 tbsp sake or dry sherry (I used sherry)
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp japanese soy sauce
1 tbsp sesasme oil
3 pinches 5 spice powder (didn't have any, was fine without)
2 pinches caster sugar
2 dashes sweet chilli sauce

FOR STUFFING
4 spring onions trimmed and cut roughly in four
3 crushed garlic cloves
1 thumb root ginger

Put quail in close fitting non reactive dish. whisk marinade ingreds together and set aside. To make stuffing, combine ingreds and chop coarsely. Dab stuffing inside the birds, pour over the marinade and leave in a cool place for 4 - 12 hours, turning occasionally (I only marinated for about an hour)
Preheat oven to 220/Gas 8. Remove birds from marinde, reserving it, then put them on a very large doubled sheet of cooking foil, dull side out, and season them. Draw up the foil to make a well sealed but roomy pouch and place on a sturdy baking sheet. Cook quail for 15 mins. Meanwhile, pour marinade into a pan and boil for a few minuites over a high heat, uncovered, until it is shiny and slightly sticky. Unwrap the pouch and spread open the foil. Brush the quail with the marinade, then continue to roast them, exposed, for about 15 minutes, or until they are glistening and browned. Pour any juices back into the marinade. Serve with marinade spooned over and a bowl of asian style salad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: