Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pirate ship cake

(40 Posts)
GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 15:05:37

"with ghosts and treasure and ghost pirates". Grateful for any suggestions, too hot to work...

motherinferior Thu 23-Jun-05 15:07:44

Am pondering. Chocolate coins, deffo.

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 15:10:08

Goo thought mi.But ghosts? How to make ghosts? marzipan? How to make ship shape with limited manual dexterity?

motherinferior Thu 23-Jun-05 15:11:56

Loaf tin would give a sort of ship shape, wouldn't it. Better than a round tin anyway. Do Pirate Ships have sails? Knitting needle (bamboo one, should you possess such a thing) piercing sails made out of curved card?

motherinferior Thu 23-Jun-05 15:15:41

I'm sure that there is a role for Green and Black white chocolate here too, but perhaps that is just a personal obsession.

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 15:23:23

Many good ideas here, mi, am wondering whether it would be acceptable to sandwich a lot of G + B choc bars together with other melted choc bars and stick some pirates and a sail on. probably not...

lemonice Thu 23-Jun-05 15:26:13

Maybe too commercial looking but here is a recipeBake a Pirate Sip Cake

motherinferior Thu 23-Jun-05 15:27:44

I'd stick to a loaf shape but that's because I just know what would happen if I started slicing up round cakes...

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 15:30:21

that looks fab, lemonice, but i think i'm with mi on cutting up those cakes...

binkie Thu 23-Jun-05 15:33:47

Wow lemonice that's clever. Oh I do love a cake construction challenge.

One thing I can say is that bashed up Fox's Glacier Fruits (NOT Mints) make fantastic rough piraty jewels.

Ghosts: get some ready-to-roll icing, practically inedible pure-sugar stuff they sell in boxes in Budgens & everywhere, roll it out fairly thin, cut circles and drape from centre point. Each ghost will probably stand up by itself. Do eyes with black writing icing (available from Budgens etc. ditto, in packs of various colours, hey including red you could do Blood with that).

motherinferior Thu 23-Jun-05 15:36:43

Binkie, that is brilliant. I'm getting quite absorbed in this cake now, it's taking over my afternoon.

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 15:39:56

Binkie you are a genius, i love these ideas, more, more...

SoupDragon Thu 23-Jun-05 15:40:22

This is the rather more homemade looking one I made for DSs a couple of years ago!

LIZS Thu 23-Jun-05 15:41:06

Round island cake - iced yellow for sand , surrounded by blue with whitish streaks, dessicated coconut mixed with green food colouring for grass, icing rolled into grey rocks - with Playmobil figures (including skeleton and ghosty pirate !) and treasure chest made out of brown fondant icing or biscuits and filled with silver sugar balls and/or small, broken sweets.

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 15:41:58

Soupy, that's beautiful...

SoupDragon Thu 23-Jun-05 15:43:15

2 square cakes, cut up and arranged appropriately. I worked it out on paper first.

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 15:47:56

Also like the playmobil idea tho would have to canniablise the birthday present!

motherinferior Thu 23-Jun-05 16:32:18

Can't you present the figures to the birthday boy as a delightful unexpected extra?

crunchie Thu 23-Jun-05 17:13:45

I love that Disney one I have to say. If you bought shop made cakes they are a LOT firmer than home-made ones and the cutting up/sticking together would be great and easy I think. I am sending this to me SIL who is having a pirate party this w/e

cityofmarvels Thu 23-Jun-05 17:20:08

This is a brazen plug but hey ho...did you know that you can get pirate playmobil invites, napkins, cups, cloth, straws, banner etc for your party? Just a thought

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 17:48:21

hmm, crunchie, wonder if cake mix cakes might be firm enough too...

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 20:35:18

Right going to be brave and try the disney one but with all the ghost treasure etc decorations everyone has suggested. might post a picture if it works, otherwise hasty trip to bakery....

starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 20:49:26

my dad made my brother a pirate ship cake for his 8th birthday.. it was FAB!

Until the paper sails caught fire! lol

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 20:50:24

ah but the disney one has candles sticking sideways so only small children will get burnt

starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 20:50:51

phew, that's ok! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now