Talk

Advanced search

won't drink water

(9 Posts)
yellow Thu 23-Jun-05 09:19:21

Help. I started weaning DD 2 weeks ago and I will be gradually cutting back her milk soon but she won't drink any water instead she just spits it out. I really don't want to give her any juice no matter how diluted becasue it contains sugar and I was told even natural orange juice (diluted) contains natural sugars which are bad for her teeth. What else can I give her? Any suggestions?

jessicasmummy Thu 23-Jun-05 09:20:29

i know you arent supposed to, but jess refuses plain water too.... very diluted squash in this house.... only way forward with her im afraid!

edodgy Thu 23-Jun-05 09:23:52

botts sell jars of flavoured water which are from 4 months and are sugar free u could try these.

sazhig Thu 23-Jun-05 14:05:25

Keep offering water - she will get used to the taste eventually. I have read that you have to introduce a new taste an average of 18 times before children get used to it!. My Harry hated water when he first had it at 8 months - spat it out and pulled a face like I had just given him lemons! I kept offering it and now he actually asks for it (he is now 11 months) but it did take a month or 2! Perservere with it and she will evetaully get used to it.

BTW I would not worry about cutting back her milk just yet, it should provide most of her nutrition until she is 1, and she will cut it down herself as she gradually has more solids.

Hope that helps
Sarah

Tommy Thu 23-Jun-05 14:07:40

keep offering it and eventually (especially in this weather)she will drink it.
I am a smug mummy when it comes to drinks as mine only drink milk or water - I know they will want juice etc as they get older but while they don't know about it they won't ask.

SoftFroggie Thu 23-Jun-05 22:23:07

I found with DS1 that I needed to give water in a different cup to that he has milk from. He then knows what he's getting.

Or you could try warming it slightly so it's the same temp as he gets his milk at.

I found that he never 'downed' water in the same way he downed a bottle of milk, though.

I would persevere with water. Fruit juices and squashes have sugars, and sugar-free drinks had chemical sweeteners that aren't going to do her any good. The longer you can hold out against sweet drinks the better, IMO.

I weaned to solids while breastfeeding DS1, but certainly didn't cut back on the milk, just gave the solids as well. Is this really the advice you've had? I'm a littel out of touch - haven't started with DS2 yet.

jamiesam Thu 23-Jun-05 22:30:35

When my ds1 wouldn't drink water, a fried of a friend recommended cheapo Tesco apple juice - just a tiny dash in a cup of water. Try it, taste it yourself and see how very weak it is. It worked with ds1 - perhaps it was just the 19th time I had offered him water (vis Sazhig's comment...), or that I believed it would work so I offered it like it was something really special?
Even my super-right-on (and great) hv approved. Once she's drinking, you could gradually cut back until it's pure water only!

jamiesam Thu 23-Jun-05 22:31:36

Obviously, that should read a friend of a friend...

dinosaur Fri 24-Jun-05 12:14:02

yellow neither of DS1 or DS2 would drink water and they always had very well diluted fruit juice. They are now nearly six and nearly four and their teeth are fine - no cavities. I think as long as you dilute it well and are absolutely scrupulous about teeth-cleaning, it should be okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now