Talk

Advanced search

Recipes for hispi cabbage?

(8 Posts)
Gem13 Wed 22-Jun-05 18:42:36

Had a few now in my Riverford box and I must cook the one this week.

Any delicious ideas?

geogteach Wed 22-Jun-05 19:27:12

Me too, come on someone....

WigWamBam Wed 22-Jun-05 19:34:03

You can use it the same way as any other cabbage of this type (Savoy, Greyhound).

My dh likes this recipe:

Sausage in a Nest of Cabbage

2oz butter
1 Savoy or Hispi cabbage
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1tbsp dried
1 tsp vegetable oil
8 good sausages (Cumberland, Lincolnshire etc)
8 fl oz beef or chicken stock
3 tablespoons red wine

Melt butter in a frying pan, saute the cabbage, rosemary and garlic oer a medium heat for 5 minutes, Remove from pan, set aside.

Wipe pan, add the oil and heat. Fry sauages until browned (or grill while the cabbage is cooking).

Remove the sausages from the pan, pour off excess fat. Return cabbage to pan, bury sausages in it. Add the stock, wine, salt and pepper, and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browning. Cover the pan and cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes, moistening the cabbage with more stock if necessary.

EnidHobblingLikeAnOldWoman Wed 22-Jun-05 19:51:49

just shred it finely and stir fry it with a tiny bit of water and lots of butter

yum with just about anything

Gem13 Mon 27-Jun-05 10:48:45

Apologies for not saying thanks for the ideas earlier. By the time I looked again at the cabbage it was ready for the compost pile so I must try harder...

Hadn't thought of shredding it and serving it simply and the sausage recipe sounds delicious.

I shall do better this week if I get another one.

evansmummy Mon 27-Jun-05 14:58:43

Sorry to be dense, and completely off-subject, but what's a riverford box?

elsmommy Mon 27-Jun-05 15:03:31

I think theres a farm and they send out boxes of fresh fruit and veg and deliver it to you!!!

WigWamBam Mon 27-Jun-05 15:18:54

Riverford Organic Box Scheme

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now