Talk

Advanced search

recipe needed for chocolaty chocolate cake.

(6 Posts)
misdee Wed 22-Jun-05 12:48:24

must be very nice and moist.

jessicasmummy Wed 22-Jun-05 12:51:52

DH is a chef and will be home at about 2pm if you can wait til then?

SoupDragon Wed 22-Jun-05 12:53:16

Delia's is very nice and light. Great with chocolate buttercream.

Delia's apparently fool proof sponge cake (you can omit the cocoa and add 2-3 drops of vanilla essence for a plain one). I call this "apparently foolproof" since both I and another non-baking friend have made this with great success. It hasn't failed me yet!

4oz Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4oz soft marg
4oz caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 7 inch cake tins lightly greased & lined with greaseproof paper

Preheat oven to Gas 3/325 F/170 c
Sift flour/baking powder
Add the other ingredients and whisk. I prefer "Bung all ingrediants into food mixer/processor" though and this seems to work fine!
Add some water if the mixture doesn't drop off a spoon easily.

Shove in the oven for 30 minutes (centre shelf). When cooked, leave in the tin for only 30 seconds

Twiglett Wed 22-Jun-05 12:54:54

for moist cake wouldn't you be better with a devil's food cake? hang on a tic misdee will have a look

Prufrock Wed 22-Jun-05 14:05:03

Nigellas choc loaf cake - foolproof, and very moist. She describes it as "damp and sticky as gingerbread"

225g soft unslated butter
375g dark muscavado sugar
2 lge eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g dark choc (melted)
200g plain flour
1tsp bicarb
250ml boiling water.

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla and beat. Blend in chocolate to fully combine but don't overbeat.

Add alternating spoonfulls of flour and bicarb, and water, beating gently until you have a fairly smooth batter. Pour into a lined loaf tin (much easier if you use one of those loaf tin shaped linings inside, but don't think you can get away with an unlined non stick tin - you will end up eating it with a spoon) Bake for 30 minutes at 190c, then for 15 at 170c. It will still be slightly squidgy so a skewer will not come out clean. Leave to get cold and turn out.

katierocket Wed 22-Jun-05 14:27:32

nigella also does one that has condensed milk in it, which sounds a bit odd but it is totally gorgeous and really kind of gooey inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now