Talk

Advanced search

Salad ideas

(11 Posts)
Gobbledigook Wed 22-Jun-05 11:11:24

Dh is trying to be healthy and I guess I should be too! We are wanting to eat mainly salady type meals for tea (he's keen on cutting out pasta, bread etc after 6pm and we always eat at gone 7.30pm). PLUS, he likes to have meat with it (I'm not bothered).

So we do the old chicken (and bacon) caesar salad but can anyone suggest any other good 'salads' so we've got a bit of variety?

TracyK Wed 22-Jun-05 11:26:13

flakes of salmon in a soy/teriyaki type sauce. I like warm chicken and orange, with balsamic and olive oil. Feta cheese. Tuna. avocado?

soapbox Wed 22-Jun-05 11:27:16

Mozzarella and tomato?

Couscous with roasted veg, or salsa on top

Cucumber (use a veggie peeler to peel ribbons along the long sides of a cucumber - put in bowl pour over 1 tablespoon of raspberry vinegar, I teaspoon of nut oil, then season).

Chicken and avocado (cooked chicken slices, avocado slices, tomato slices, all in a bowl, big handfull of chopped coriander, juice of 1 lime. Mix altoghether then season - needs a fair bit of salt).

Goats cheese - pile of leaves on plate, break up and scatter over goats cheese, fry some bacon till very well cooked, cool and break and scatter over, deglaze bacon pan with squeeze of lemon juice, add tablespoon of olive oil and dress salad with it.

Rocket and parmesan - bed of rocket leaves, parmesan shavings, dress with classic vinegarette

bundle Wed 22-Jun-05 11:27:45

spinach with pink grapefruit and pinenuts. serve with small piece of steak or lamb

babyonboard Wed 22-Jun-05 11:54:29

my favourite is spinach leaves and watercress with sliced soft pear, a smattering of gorgonzola chunks and walnuts presoaked in oil...yum yum

Gobbledigook Wed 22-Jun-05 12:11:09

Ooh, lots of fab ideas! thanks!

milge Wed 22-Jun-05 12:17:04

here are various toppings to basic salad leaves that i use to make a meal
Coronation chicken - diced cooked chicken, sultanas, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder.
Pancetta, broad beans and puy lentils in a vinagrette dressing.
Parma Ham, figs and mozzerella
fennel, strawberries and smoked salmon

teeavee Wed 22-Jun-05 12:22:01

soft-boilied eggs, bacon/pancetta bots, stale bread chunks lightly fried in olive oil, wtih baby spinach, lettuce and rocket if you've got it

also, rice salads are nice - add parsley, tuna, tomato, feta, green beans, vinaigrette, etc

i love warm new potatoes with sliced spring onion and loads of parsley, cmixed with smoked herring pieces and covered in lemon juice and olive oil

ivy3 Wed 22-Jun-05 12:22:14

Tuna steak and black olives and shavings of parmasan.

bundle Wed 22-Jun-05 12:27:19

oh and slices of mango are nice too. with anything really

Twiglett Wed 22-Jun-05 12:30:23

salad nicoise .. boiled egg, beans, tuna on top of the salad stuff (also nice with asparagus)

couscous with olives, capers, artichoke hearts, tomato, cucumber .. oo yum

delia has a great salad recipe with roast veg, couscous, goats cheese and harissa style dressing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now