Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Finger foods for 1 year old - Help!

(9 Posts)
IlanaK Tue 21-Jun-05 19:02:31

My ds2 is just 1. He is refusing most kinds of savoury finger food that I give him and it is driving me mad. He is not keen to be spoon fed at every meal, but what is the alternative? Ds1 was never like this! He has seven teetha nd has no problem with cruchy things like cereal, but is soooo fussy. I would like tea time to be finger food (ds1 has sandwhiches then), but this is not happening. Bread of all kinds gets pushed right back out of his mouth. For the first time today he ate some bread with jam on, but this is not exactly healthy. Breadsticks get rejected too. He seems very fussy on texture of things. Please don't suggest veggies and he just won't eat them! (He eats them mixed in with the spoon fed stuff though).

What do you all do for finger food????

Yorkiegirl Tue 21-Jun-05 19:05:28

Message withdrawn

2kidsandahubby Tue 21-Jun-05 19:11:48

Cheese,ham,pieces of chicken breast, spaghetti hoops(drained) scrambled egg, fish fingers,sweetcorn, crackerbread,watermelon,grapes,pear chunks

IlanaK Tue 21-Jun-05 19:15:46

Forgot to say that I had tried cheese, both in cubes and spread on bread, and he would not eat it. Also, he used to eat grapes and melpn fine. Now refuses them. I tried sausage (we buy free range meat ones without rusk from a local supplier) and he would not eat that either. Sigh......

katylou25 Tue 21-Jun-05 19:17:13

Used to run a baby room in a nursery some favourites were Cheese and crackers, homemade pizza slices, homemade potato wedges, crumpets, breadsticks and dips, cucumber, celery etc and dips, omelette strips, cooked pasta twirls, rice cakes, fruit wedges, homemande sausage rolls and pasties, homemade chicken nuggets/fishfingers, cheese on toast....... could go on for hours!!!

bran Tue 21-Jun-05 19:17:14

I bought a book called Finger Food by Jennie Maizels (sp?) a few weeks ago for my 12 month old ds, I've only made 4 recipes so far be he's liked all of them (meatballs, lentil croquettes, fishcakes and mini samosas), although more of the samosa ended up in crumbs on the floor than in his mouth.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 21-Jun-05 19:19:35

Big pieces of pasta (fusille, penne) have always been hits in our house. You can get some veg in that way, too, if you're having a hard time.

My DS1 isn't mad for most veg, but will eat cucumber, sweet pepper, sweet corn, and peas (raw or cooked) in great quantities. It's always worth keeping trying different things. Asparagus and green beans are both very good finger foods.

loulabelle222 Tue 21-Jun-05 21:18:45

its all very well saying your ds wont eat vegetables... but keep perservering as there is nothing not to like and you might put it into his head that he definately doesn't like vegetables. If my ds doesn't like something I don't stop giving it to him I will try again a few days/weeks later and sometimes his opinion has changed. Try fruit, its always a fav here.. he will get better hun!

tiffini Tue 21-Jun-05 21:27:56

toast cut into soldiers
sliced banana
slightly toasted teacakes or hot cross buns
sandwiches
ham
sliced up peppers
scotch pancakes

My dts would not eat cheesespread or cubed either, but oddly they love it grated, chedder and red leicester.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now