Talk

Advanced search

tap water for 9 month old, is it ok?

(24 Posts)
fairycakes Mon 20-Jun-05 20:31:29

or do i still have to keep using boiled water and waiting hours for it to cool?!

Hermione1 Mon 20-Jun-05 20:32:28

Well they say up until a year i think, but could you not put it in the freezer to cool it quickly??

tamula Mon 20-Jun-05 20:36:10

sometimes it depends on what part of the UK you live in and the quality of water you get. I'm in London and dont drink the tap water myself so wouldnt give to baby.

Couldnt you boil a fair amount, pour it into an old water / drink bottle and keep it it the fridge, it should go a long way with a 9 month old?

Nimme Mon 20-Jun-05 20:37:47

Sorry to hijack - can I just ask as I have been caught short these hot days - can you give bottled still water? Does anyone know?

hotmama1 Mon 20-Jun-05 20:54:45

My dd is nearly 9 months - I asked this question to my hv when my dd was 6 months. Need to boil water for formula etc until 12 months but if the water is to drink from a cup etc then it is fine to give tap water.

I'm not sure about bottled water - does the mineral content make it unsuitable? I know Boots sell bottles of flavoured water for babies that are suitable for babies from 4 months - but I haven't bought any so I don't know what they are like. HTH

Nimme Mon 20-Jun-05 20:58:05

Thank you hotmama

edam Mon 20-Jun-05 21:09:03

Tamula, I was involved in some research on the quality of drinking water four or five years ago and I can promise London water is perfectly safe - and at least as good if not better than bottled water.
We also did a blind taste test and Thames water came out joint first! This was for an independent consumer research organisation, nothing to do with water companies.

TrinaJ Mon 20-Jun-05 21:09:40

I'm delighted to hear tap water is ok after a dissagreement with mother -in -law at weekend about water!
I use the bottled flavoured water from boots, my ds (7 months)loves them. I have tried them myself - if it isn't good enough for me it isn't good enough for him! - and they taste ok, not too sweet, but just enough flavour.

Lonelymum Mon 20-Jun-05 21:12:26

I was told there was no point boiling water as soon as your baby can crawl as they are picking up far more germs on their hands and from putting things in their mouths etc than they would ever pick up from unboiled water.

hotmama1 Mon 20-Jun-05 21:31:45

So agree with Lonelymum - my dd licks the wooden floor - I do try to stop her The boiled water thing for formula is because of bacteria? this is the reaon why anything to do with bottles/milk still have to be sterilized up to 12 months.

at the disagreement with MIL's - don't you just want to scream f*ck off it's my child - and I don't give a t**s what your opinion is (or is this just me! )

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 21:32:37

cant believ you ever boil water
i never did!

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 21:32:58

didnt sterilsie for ds3 either

ScrewballMuppet Mon 20-Jun-05 21:36:40

Never boiled tap water for both ds's

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 21:36:58

yes they are all barking arent they

tamula Mon 20-Jun-05 22:28:13

edam, I know the water is safe but I do not like the taste or the purifying process so wont drink it straight from tap.

tamula Mon 20-Jun-05 22:31:21

I think its all personal choice, mothers in 3rd world countries that live out in the bush, dont sterilise and prob dont boil water first either and their babes are fine!!

weesaidie Mon 20-Jun-05 22:33:50

I found all that sterlising and boiled water such a hassle and gave up as soon as I could!

Agree with Lonelymum and hotmama1, once my dd started getting into everything what was the point? My flat is just not that clean.

edam Mon 20-Jun-05 22:36:18

Oh, I see. So what water do you drink?

When I was growing up, my best friend had a farm, and they had their own spring water. But I could never help thinking 'but what if a sheep drowned in the stream last night and no-one's noticed yet?'! (Yes, I know it's daft...)

tamula Mon 20-Jun-05 22:38:50

edam,

haha about sheep, i guess what you dont know wont hurt you, unless of course it does!!

I drink Spa, Evian, or Vittel. Ooo get me.

fairycakes Mon 20-Jun-05 22:39:07

thanks for replies!

Gobbledigook Mon 20-Jun-05 22:53:14

Not read other supplies but ds3 gets tap water - he's 9 months

edam Mon 20-Jun-05 22:55:55

But have you looked at what Spa, Evian and Vittel do to their water? Just wondering, from your objection to Thames's purification... I can't remember which bottled water companies came out badly in our research but I know some was less safe than tap water. Might have to go and look it up now...

tamula Tue 21-Jun-05 16:25:24

I knew you were asking me what I drank to knock it down {grin]

I'm not that bothered by the filtering process of Spa, Evian or Vittel, I am by London water and wont be drinking it.

chenin Tue 21-Jun-05 16:56:04

My two dds always had unboiled tap water after 6 months old. I had a friend with a dd same age as my dd1 and she always gave her dd bottled water (and never tap water) and her dd had terrible trouble with her teeth because there is no flouride whatsoever in bottled water and her dd is now 16 and her teeth are still not good and very yellow. She has been told by dentist this was because she spent her early years drinking bottled water. So stick with good old tap water if you want nice teeth for your children!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now