Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The dinner lady, need a similar recipie book but with different recipes as...

(17 Posts)
Blossomhill Sun 19-Jun-05 19:58:41

have done all of the meals in there from cover to cover. Really enjoyed the recipies and obviously still use them but want some more ideas for child friendly, fairly easy to follow recipies. Thanks

wordgirl Sun 19-Jun-05 20:20:21

Wow, I am impressed! I bought this book a while ago and have yet to make any of the recipes Anyway you have inspired me to try some now so thanks and sorry I haven't helped!

Blossomhill Sun 19-Jun-05 22:04:29

Wordgirl - I am someone that never cooked things fresh until I decided I didn't want to feed my kids cr*p anymore! The dinner lady was great for someone with as little cooking experience as me. Also made cakes, puddings and biscuits that were all delicious and easy to make.
Any more suggestions please?

Puff Sun 19-Jun-05 22:15:41

Bh - amazon is doing Annabel Karmel's "Favourite Family Recipes" with £6.00 off at the mo. I was thinking about getting it - I found her baby and toddler cookbook a bit fiddly, but might give this a try - like you, I need a supplement to the fab Dinner Lady cookbook!

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 16:19:33

Annabel's is fab - definitely try it Blossomhill, I think you would like it I've got Dinnerlady on my wishlist after your thread for when I've got through Annabel's... lol.

beachyhead Mon 20-Jun-05 16:24:27

sadness that I am - when I last had a couple of hours to spare I went to the library and copied out all the recipes from all the books that I liked - it was the best spent two hours ever, as I am still discovering great recipes without having to fork out a penny........

but I will understand if you think that's a bit sad!!!!!

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 16:36:21

beachy - I have a scanner. A quick version of that would be to borrow a recipe books, take them home, and scan 'em in. Quicker too ;)

I actually do that with all my favourites and keep in a file anyway (although I tend to buy the books). Keep them in clear sleeves - easier to find and they're good splash guards in the kitchen.

Blossomhill Mon 20-Jun-05 21:08:43

puff - is it any good? I haven't heard a lot about it (currently have a banana cake in the oven from the dl )
Beachyhead and Georgina - really good idea. I must get my scanner fixed. Do they tend to have things like Annabel Karmel at the library?

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:13:37

Dunno if they'd have it at the library, but it's worth asking. My library will order it in from any local library for a small fee (about 60p I think) - takes about 2 weeks - and you can order it online (although it costs slightly more that way) and they'll send you a postcard when it's in.

Haven't done that for recipe books, but I reduced my fiction spend quite considerably by using that ordering in approach last year (must get back into the habit again rather than just stuffing things on my amazon wishlist, lol)

Puff Mon 20-Jun-05 21:27:21

I wish the Dinner Lady would bring out another book - I feel comfy with her !

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:29:36

LOL... I feel like that about Annabel Karmel after the Family Meal Planner... I keep flitting to Delia and Jamie but they're always so time consuming and over faffy

MUST get The Dinner Lady...

Blossomhill Mon 20-Jun-05 21:31:15

Georgina - is it really good then the AK family planner. Umming and ahhing over it, is it worth the money? Thanks

Puff Mon 20-Jun-05 21:35:45

bh, georgina listed some of the recipes on a thread I started earlier today - it sounds good.

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:38:29

Ooo definitely - think the favourite family recipes is the same only updated with a few new recipes. I use 2-3 recipes minimum a week out of the meal planner (and the ones we enjoy most in the week are generally in that book).

Much less faffy than the baby cookbook I think (although there are a few offenders - not least the "quick" stir fries that take ages to chop all the different bits!) - also helps that you're cooking for all of you not just one of you, lol! And not overly fussy food.

It's even got US eating FISH! (we're a fish hating family). Okay, so we've only really braved salmon and cod so far, but that's a huge improvement.

Blossomhill Mon 20-Jun-05 21:57:24

Right have ordered family planner and lunch boxes by AK. Can't wait to receive them now

GeorginaA Mon 20-Jun-05 21:59:32

Haven't tried the lunchboxes one yet tbh... have it but many of the things are too fiddly for a 4 year old to eat on his own at lunchtime. Another year or two though and I think it'll be really good.

Blossomhill Mon 20-Jun-05 22:31:48

georgina - my children are nearly 6 and 7 and a half so I think it will be fine. The poor things are sick of sandwiches and would love to go back on school dinners. So hopefully will be able to liven the lunch boxes up a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now