Talk

Advanced search

Those of you who cook regularly - do you sometimes feel some 'recipes' are just collations?

(35 Posts)
ks Sun 19-Jun-05 19:49:00

Message withdrawn

hoxtonchick Sun 19-Jun-05 19:50:34

river cafe easy is guilty of this too.

Twiglett Sun 19-Jun-05 19:50:57

there are people out there who can't do that though and others who need the inspiration

Alannah Sun 19-Jun-05 20:33:29

You are absolutely right ks. I am a trained chef and never use recipes because I have a good foundation in basic cooking. However, in my experience lots and lots of people need things spelled out for them. This is why delias how to cook series was one of the best selling cook books of all time.

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Jun-05 20:35:37

I'm with Twiglett - I've no time to think! I need a recipe I can follow and that is foolproof!

lilaclotus Sun 19-Jun-05 20:41:24

i had 6 years of cooking lessons in school and learned all the basics. nowadays i find experimental cooking very enjoyable. occasionally i do need a recipe though for 'tricky' things like cakes, which i never remember the measurements of.

moondog Sun 19-Jun-05 20:42:18

ks,I have ahuge collection of recipe books,but theyare primarily for pleasure and inspirationrather than hand holding.

As a keen cook,I 'know'what will and\won't\ work\\(agree\with\\you\re recipe\cards btw)

ks Mon 20-Jun-05 08:53:52

Message withdrawn

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 09:09:53

I've never really felt that. I must follow recipes and don't have the confidence to make up my own - I suspect that the result would be bland and samey in my case. Some people seem to have culinary flair though.

I use Ainsley Harriott and Nigel Kennedy 'quick' recipes

suzywong Mon 20-Jun-05 09:14:00

quite right ks
I use them as inspiration and refernece, like quantities for choux pastry. I binned loads of my Sainsbury magazinnes when I moved, wish I hadn't. I thought they were very well thought out and put together and used to get lots of ingredient based inspiration from those.

Nigel Kennedy has branched out in to cookery has he?

Marina Mon 20-Jun-05 09:35:13

alright cheeky wong, I think hmc must surely have meant Mr Slater!
We use recipes for uncharted territory such as precision cooking to impress and the rest of the time rely on what vintage She magazines used to call "bung cuisine". I really love Nigel for this - he reminds you so well what works together and what doesn't.
99% of meals at Marina Towers are collations - several of them nicked off Waitrose cards, ks.
Hope you are feeling less frazzled ks.

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 09:43:46

lol - yes 'Slater'

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 09:44:53

and what your step wong! - I'll be looking for your next 'senior' moment and when I find it there will be no mercy

teeavee Mon 20-Jun-05 10:19:03

I like books with recipes from different countries - I really like the MORO cookbook, for example, which contains a lot of new ideas for cooking fish.
also, far eastern and indian curry cookbooks I would tend to use...
and I dip into nigella's how to eat sometimes for basic info re. cakes etc

elliott Mon 20-Jun-05 10:20:55

I hardly ever use recipes to the letter. In fact I don't really know why I buy recipe books! I will usually think - I want to cook such and such (eg for example I recently wanted to do falafels) and so I look through all my recipe books and read all the falafel recipes, get a feel for what the key elements are and make up my own modification.
USually if anything in a recipe book looks complicated or faffy, or has something in it I don't like, I just change it.
I'm not a very good cook though and usually do very simple things.

soapbox Mon 20-Jun-05 10:26:11

I love recepie books but I do see them mainly as inspiration. Only really follow recepies to the letter for baking or where gelatine is involved. Also for alcohol based sorbets or icecreams.

Otherwise I just chuck a bit of this and that together and hope for the best!

I have to say though that recepie books are where I discovered what flavours work together, and new combinations are being discovered by me all the time! I recently discovered the prefect match of pomegranite and lamb from one of Nigellas cook book. I would also never have believed a citrus tart could taste as lemony as the River Cafe cook book one does without seeing it in print!

soapbox Mon 20-Jun-05 10:27:32

And of course if I could spell 'recipe' properly I would get more hits when I google

ks Mon 20-Jun-05 10:30:36

Message withdrawn

suzywong Mon 20-Jun-05 10:31:03

Damn, I missed the golden opportunity of saying
"So Nigel Kennedy has another string to his bow does he?"

<guffaws and falls off chair at own wit>

What's a senior moment, am getting jittery now HMC?

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 10:34:08

suzy,

Senior moment - you know, early alzeheimers when you make daft mistakes like forgetting names or posting Kennedy rather than Slater!

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 10:35:13

Very quick witted re 'another string to his bow' btw. Obviously not suffering from senior moments in your case!

lunachic Mon 20-Jun-05 11:01:22

yes i agree - i can cook and make up recipes-if i have something out i can uusually come home and make a pretty good copy but i love my shelf books( nigella jamie delia !) too for new things and inspiration when im bored

Copper Mon 20-Jun-05 14:19:09

I found a book in my local library about 4 years ago which I had out for over a year. Later I wanted to buy it and all I could remember was that it was a Penguin: librarian not impressed. But this thread has inspired me to read all 400 entries for Penguin cookery books on Amazon (never thought there'd be such interest in cooking Penguins - a bit fishy if you ask me ) to find - ta da !!!!!!!!!!!! - The Modern Cook's Handbook: All You Need to Know About Cooking with Over 200 Recipes by Lynda Brown - and I've snapped up one of only 2 copies on there.

It's a really useful clever book that teaches you how to invent your own recipes based on showing you a staple type recipe (e.g. couscous) - and then showing you how to a million things to make it different. Need never buy another one (not that that will stop me).

So mill thanks KS

sorrel Mon 20-Jun-05 14:30:18

more or less agree ks. except for baking .couldn't do a cake without exact measurments.
however rely greatly on one tattered bought in oxfam 20 years ago Elisabeth david book. Everything i have got since is full of plagerised versions of things in this book.

fredly Mon 20-Jun-05 14:59:52

ks, I agree with you, but you would be amazed by the number of people out there who cannot cook the simplest thing like an omelette !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now