Talk

Advanced search

How many eggs a week?

(3 Posts)
Paperclipcollector Thu 12-Nov-09 22:06:09

My 3 yr old (always fussy eater) has developed a liking for omelettes. He would eat them daily if he could.

How many would be a safe amount for him to eat? I usually use 2 eggs, and let him have one every other day - but there are some days when he wants to eat nothing else.

Does anyone know of any guidance on this please? Thankssmile

Seona1973 Thu 12-Nov-09 22:34:54

there is no limit on eggs for anyone.

From food standards agency:

There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat. Eggs are a good choice as part of a healthy balanced diet. But remember that it's a good idea to eat as varied a diet as possible. This means we should be trying to eat a variety of foods each week to get the wide range of nutrients we need.

Eggs are a good source of:

•protein
•vitamin D
•vitamin A
•vitamin B2
•iodine

Lots of people think that you should only eat a certain number of eggs a week. In fact, most people don't need to limit how many eggs they have, if they are eating a balanced diet, which means basing meals on starchy foods and having plenty of fruit and veg, some dairy products and some foods that are good sources of protein, such as meat, fish, eggs, beans and lentils. Remember that we should try to eat a wide variety of foods to get all the nutrients we need

Paperclipcollector Thu 12-Nov-09 22:48:36

Thanks for this!

I do remember the scare re: cholesterol (and as high cholesterol runs in my family) I did want to make sure that I wasn't doing anything untoward. Then I remembered something a couple of years back about not having to limit the amount of eggs - but I couldn't recall which was the correct advice.

Cheers - it's omelettes a go-go for him then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now