Talk

Advanced search

Nigella's Chilli jam

(15 Posts)
roosterroo Thu 12-Nov-09 13:23:31

After making my lovely chutney, i thought I would make some of Nigellas chilli jam. Its now sat cooling and Ive realised I have used red wine vinegar not the stuff on the receipe!! have I killed it - its too hot to taste at the mo...

and my house stinks like a takeaway shock

Heebeejeebee Thu 12-Nov-09 13:27:04

I think it should be fine. The chilli will probably mask the subtle differences, anyway!

I made it on Sunday, but I didn't have enough chillis (using home grown) so I upped the amount of peppers and left the seeds in for extra hotness - it tastes lovely.

Oh, and the kitchen has only just stopped smelling of vinegar..

SILVERSURFER007 Thu 12-Nov-09 13:29:22

Can you post the recipe for the jam? How far in advance would you make it before giing as a present?

sarah293 Thu 12-Nov-09 13:31:30

Message withdrawn

roosterroo Thu 12-Nov-09 13:34:54

ok,

have now set the time for the 40 mins and will have a taste then..

have also left some seeds in as half my chillies were home grown and far too teeny tiny to take out.

twolittlemonkeys Thu 12-Nov-09 13:35:29

Ooooh I'm making presents this year, have made some balsamic onion chutney and am looking for a good chilli sauce recipe, can you post it please? It took a few days for the vinegar smell to disperse after I made the chutney. But today I've been making candles and the smell is well and truly gone because my house smells like a Lush shop!

roosterroo Thu 12-Nov-09 13:44:16

receipe makes 1.5 litres

150g red fresh chillies deseeded and cut in 4 pieces
150g red pepper deseeded and cut into chunks
1kg jam sugar
600ml CIDER vinegar

put chillies into food processor until finely chopped. Add chunks of pepper and pulse again.

dissolved sugar in the vinegar in a wide medium size pan over low heat without stiring.

add the chillies and pepper mix. Bring to the boil and leave rollicking for 10 mins

take pan off heat and allow to cool

after 40 mins the liquid firms up and you can ladle into jars. If you need to stir gently at this stage it will do no harm.

then seal tightly

you will then find your home has a strange aroma liken to a takeaway, this will clear with time smile

RnB Thu 12-Nov-09 13:47:09

Balsamic onion chutney sounds LOVELY!

Mimi1977 Thu 12-Nov-09 14:26:15

Where did you get the balsamic onion recipe?

SILVERSURFER007 Thu 12-Nov-09 21:27:57

Sounds fab!!

How long do you leave just the sugar and vinegar in the pan for?

How long will this keep?

BakewellTarts Thu 12-Nov-09 21:34:39

Love Chilli jam with bagels and cream cheese...thanks for this, certainly one to try.

roosterroo Fri 13-Nov-09 17:13:15

Jam is ok, looks darker than the photo in the book.

receipe sts will keepy for a year, you just heat the vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.

seem to have made a half jar just for me to eat now, its good and hot. smile

duracellbatterybunny Mon 22-Oct-12 20:40:49

Thinking abut making Nigella's chilli jam tomorrow. Will it keep for Christmas?

Pinner35 Mon 22-Oct-12 20:43:13

I make this all the time, and just use whatever vinegar I have that needs using up. Red wine, white wine, cider...all these vinegars have been fine. Would recommend letting it mature for a few weeks as the flavour definitely improves.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 24-Oct-12 17:08:22

Any particular type of chilli? Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet, Birds Eye?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now