Talk

Advanced search

Let's Talk Dinner Parties

(4 Posts)
Earlybird Thu 12-Nov-09 12:46:30

Do you and your friends 'do' dinner parties?

Tell us about your last dinner party - what you served, how many people, etc.

Tell us about your favourite dinner party - one that you've hosted or attended.

luciemule Thu 12-Nov-09 12:56:19

I've been too shattered to have one for the last year! Last one I had was 10 of us and I did pear, pecan and blue cheese starter, salmon or chicken with a sause I can't remember and Nigella's chocolate cups for dessert. It was good fun and we played the Top Gear DVD game and Who wants to be a millionaire afterwards which was fun.

For new year, we're having 6 friends over for fireworks and a mexican theme evening. Well - tequilla themed really!!!

meltedmarsbars Thu 12-Nov-09 13:44:19

I often cook a huge leg of roast lamb, with pommes dauphinoise and veg, followed by a hot pud (steam pud or crumbles go down well) or a mousse. I try to cook what they don't eat at home - and many of our friends don't cook home-made puddings.

However the last one was sirloin steak followed by peach melba with a caramel basket over the top. All chosen by the 9 year-old birthday boy, for us and my sisters family, 10 people.

cyrilsneer Thu 12-Nov-09 14:46:40

This is invariably the way we get together with friends.

I usually make some sort of canape (eg little tarts with goat's cheese and red onion marmalade)to have with drinks.

Then a cold starter (eg A platter to share of proscuitto and buffalo mozzarella with rocket and some roasted courgettes)

Then a casserole or slow-roast for the main course (eg slow-roast pork belly with flageolets, shallots and wilted spinach)

Then a cold pudding (eg chocolate amaretto tart with creme fraiche)

Then cheese (pick three nice ones from Waitrose)

Then coffee/ fresh mint tea.

We're usually six at the kitchen table and it's about relaxing and having a laugh and a catch up with good friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now