Talk

Advanced search

Ingredients for a bread machine?

(11 Posts)
Mimi1977 Thu 12-Nov-09 10:59:36

We're getting a breadmaker for Christmas and I just wondered what ingredients we would need to get - best flour, type of yeast etc And I read somewhere about adding sugar?

Thanks

Kathyis12feethighandbites Thu 12-Nov-09 11:02:50

you will need:
-strong bread flour (we use Doves Farm but any decent quality will do)
-dried yeast (again, Doves Farm in the orange packet is good but if you're not going to use it much, the stuff that comes in sachets will keep better)
-any sugar
-any salt (little granules not big sea salt crystals as that would mess up the measurements)
-milk powder
-butter but you can replace it with oil (eg oliver or sunflower)

Blackduck Thu 12-Nov-09 11:19:58

milk powder is not necessary - an Americanism...

Kathyis12feethighandbites Thu 12-Nov-09 11:45:46

true Blackduck.
it will be in the recipes that come with the machine but if you don't have any, just ignore it.

Lilymaid Thu 12-Nov-09 11:47:53

Dove's Farm Yeast (as mentioned previously), your choice of strong flour for breadmaking, a little salt and some oil.
Nothing else necessary for a basic loaf.

Mimi1977 Thu 12-Nov-09 12:23:00

Great, thanks all. Glad you said didn't need milk powder as sounds a bit fake to me and that's one of the reason we wanted the bread machine, so we could go more natural!

SoupDragon Thu 12-Nov-09 12:26:42

Yes, just leave the milk powder out. I've also chopped the sugar content right down to 1/2 teaspoon in the recipe I use.

I often add 4 tablespoons of wheatgerm to mine. It gives a nice flavour and texture. I also tend to do a 50% white/50% wholemeal bread using Waitrose bread flour (and Doves yeast). I've not bought a loaf since I got the bread maker at Christmas.

Prunerz Thu 12-Nov-09 12:33:10

I don't use milk powder. I am not sure what it is meant to add, I certainly haven't noticed any difference.

Oil instead of butter
A bit more salt than they suggest [Scottish]

Spelt flour (combined with either white or wholemeal flour) makes a tasty loaf, and yes to throwing in things like wheatgerm, and oats, and linseeds, pumpkin seeds etc.

Have also made fig bread: brown loaf, handful of chopped figs, nice toasted

Kathyis12feethighandbites Thu 12-Nov-09 14:40:02

It softens the crust.
You might not want a soft crust anyway, though!

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 12-Nov-09 14:42:13

I add a small amount of milk powder to mine but it is not necessary. It makes the bread slightly softer and adds calcium.

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 12-Nov-09 14:43:01

And I half the salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now