Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Chicken pie has gone horribly wrong - what can I do instead????

(9 Posts)
alwayslookingforanswers Wed 11-Nov-09 16:44:17

I have been trying to sort the short crust pastry out - first attempt I used a dish that was too deep and it all sunk down the sides when I tried to cook the base.

Decided to go for a smaller pie using a proper pie dish - which was all going fine until I tried to remove the rice and baking paper (rice was al I had to weight it with) from the dish once it was cooked - tipped rice all over the floor completely missing the bin and got rice stuck in the "not quite hard" pastry on the base of the dish.

Grabbed my pastry brush to try and remove said rice and prompyly dropped the whole lot face down on the floor. I'm out of shortcrust pastry.

I have a large quantity of left over chicken, carrots, broccoli, onions, potatoes, rices (not the stuff that's now on the flooor blush), pasta, etc etc.

What can I do with it all instead???

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 11-Nov-09 16:51:46

PLease - someone???? my children will want to be fed in the next 1 - 1 1/2hrs and the chicken needs using today as it's the leftover from the Roast we had on Monday

itsbeingsocheerful Wed 11-Nov-09 16:52:31

Just serve it as is without the pastry? With rice, pasta and potatoes, it sounds filling and tasty enough

notwavingjustironing Wed 11-Nov-09 16:56:12

serve it with rice and call it a casserole.

Besom Wed 11-Nov-09 17:03:45

You could try a sort of chicken cottage pie? Chicken and veg with a white/cheese sauce and mash on top?

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 11-Nov-09 17:08:19

ooooo chicken cottage pie sounds good - better get on with it I suppose.

overmydeadbody Wed 11-Nov-09 17:11:27

In future, only make a pastry topping, not a base or sides, much much less hassle! I find it's also really nice with puff pastry, in which case I bake the right size of rolled out puff pastry on a baking tray and just pop it onto the top of the pie filling once it is cooked, so no soggy pastry either.

Chicken pie with mashed potato and swede is also really really nice and a good trist on the cottage pie solution already mentioned.

overmydeadbody Wed 11-Nov-09 17:13:25

For what it's worth I almost always make my chicken pie with mashed potato and swede topping, not pastry.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 11-Nov-09 18:33:15

well I did "cheesy chicken casserole on a bed of mashed potatoe" PMSL.

The cottage pie suggestion upside down basically lol.

If I don't do bottom and sides I have to do loads more potato and veg to with it otherwise I have shouts of "I'm still HUNGRY" <<<<sigh>>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now