Talk

Advanced search

How much does a turkey cost?

(4 Posts)
dairymoo Tue 10-Nov-09 13:55:43

I am doing Thanksgiving dinner for my DH's family this year and need to buy a turkey. I want at least a 6kg one and have been quoted an astonishingly high price from our local butcher. I want a free range bird, preferably a Kelly Bronze, but have no idea how much I should be paying. Does anyone know?

Seona1973 Tue 10-Nov-09 14:25:19

they are extortionate! From googling they are coming in at £60-£70 for 6kg

shoptilidrop Tue 10-Nov-09 14:35:40

A kelly bronze will be a lot _ in my area a
6k bird is about £85. You could get a free
range bronze ( but not kelly bronze) for about £65 if you are luckly... maybe?

Its def worth paying more the the bronze bird, especially if you are really going to
make full use of it, ir, lots of left overs, make a fantastic stock, soups etc...

if you are just going to eat it on thanksgiving, then id go for something cheaper.
If you do go for something cheaper, look at the bones where the feet have been cut, try and get one thats not too bright red as it will indicate slightly slower growing ( hence more flavor) also dont get a bird with red burn patches on the elbow.
You want to get one with good fat pockets on the thighs and back side on the breast, again, this will indicate slower growing and more flavor... you wont get it on cheap turkeys.

hth....

dairymoo Tue 10-Nov-09 17:31:32

Interesting, I was quoted £60 but thought that it was a lot, well my DH did anyway! Will be reassured that I'm not being ripped off now, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now