Talk

Advanced search

And tonights dinner menu is....

(45 Posts)
meltedmarsbars Tue 10-Nov-09 13:40:39

...well, what is on the menu?

I'm coming round to the most tempting one, and bringing the dcs! Don't worry, they eat everything wink.

That lunch thread made me realise how little is in our fridge even though dh went shopping yesterday!

Rubyrubyruby Tue 10-Nov-09 13:41:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

purpleturtle Tue 10-Nov-09 13:45:53

Tonight we will be eating cheesy-leeky-pea-pasta. It is something of a staple in our diet!

Tomorrow, I need to use up something of a glut of parsnips, swede, beetroot and squash. I think I'll roast them, but what do I serve with them? Answers on a postcard, please... (and sorry for hijack)

meltedmarsbars Tue 10-Nov-09 13:47:54

purple, thats a lot of veg for one meal!

Hulababy Tue 10-Nov-09 13:52:53

For DH and DD - something with sausages and bacon

dairymoo Tue 10-Nov-09 13:56:53

Ratatouille and sausages with crusty bread.

purpleturtle Tue 10-Nov-09 13:59:31

I know it's a lot! It's staring at me from the cupboard! The squash is tiny, though, and there are just 3 small beetroot. Other suggestions welcome.

claireyBANG Tue 10-Nov-09 13:59:43

Roast Pork, roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli and peas with gravy.

displayuntilbestbefore Tue 10-Nov-09 14:01:37

if dh ever turns up with the shopping he said he was bringing home in his lunch hour (!) then it will be cottage pie with veg followed by a fruit crumble. Comfort food the order of the day smile

BlingLoving Tue 10-Nov-09 14:03:24

PurpleTurtle: Do you have some onions as well? I'd roast them with olive oil, a little rosemary and possibly some chilli flakes and then serve with couscous. You can make your couscous more interesting by adding some fresh herbs if you have or just prepare it using stock rather than water if you don't. Makes a delicious meal all in itself. You could also add some tomatoes to the roasting pan to create a juicier mix which will work well with the couscous.

dairymoo Tue 10-Nov-09 14:03:25

purpleturtle I'd roast the squash and beetroot and add it to cous cous, perhaps with some flaked almonds and a citrusy (sp?!) dressing. Then use the sweded and parsnips to make a soup.

bigchris Tue 10-Nov-09 14:04:09

moussaka, courtesy of tesco finest blush

Bodeniiites Tue 10-Nov-09 14:04:42

the boys are getting home made soup, tatties and mince with peas carrots and cauliflower (for ds2) then a slice of gingerbread and tea im having the soup cauliflower and cheese with loads of black pepper and the gingerbreadgrin dh gets his own

hobbgoblin Tue 10-Nov-09 14:04:58

Beef stroganoff for me and DP which will serve up for DC tomorrow. Tonight they have Chorizo, pea and tomato pasta or possibly Sea Bass and courgettes and carrots...can't decide.

weegiemum Tue 10-Nov-09 14:06:25

We're having, at ds's request "Mum's Homemade Chicken Pie" which he is going to help me make when he gets home from school, which will be fun (he's 7)

dairymoo Tue 10-Nov-09 14:08:35

Swede even blush

minervaitalica Tue 10-Nov-09 14:09:06

Braised squid with garlic and parsley and polenta. Veggies tbc.

displayuntilbestbefore Tue 10-Nov-09 14:10:05

braised squid? That sounds interesting...how do you do that, then, minervaitalica?

purpleturtle Tue 10-Nov-09 14:13:20

smile Couscous - will give that a go. Don't think the squash and beetroot will be enough on their own, but you have inspired me. (And I've remembered that DS2 can't stand parsnip, so I'll not bother setting that battle up). Thanks everyone.

I think I'll go to ClaireyBANG's tonight. grin

claireyBANG Tue 10-Nov-09 14:17:33

<sets an extra place>

grin

momijigari Tue 10-Nov-09 14:17:52

I have made pastry so far, because I have a few hens and need to use the eggs... and I am going to make quiche later, with some veg on the side and roasted with rosemary or thyme potatoes, from the garden.

EyeballsintheSky Tue 10-Nov-09 14:22:26

Could go either way. I have meatballs and a nice sauce in the slow cooker...or it could burn to a cinder and it's scrambled egg...

minervaitalica Tue 10-Nov-09 14:39:13

Easy really. Chop squid in rings (I buy it already gutted).

Put olive oil and garlic to warm up in heavy bottomed pan. Add squid, close lid. Braise for 25 mins, then add chopped parsley, and top with water if too dry. Cook for other 20 mins or so until tender and not chewy. Season to taste. Chilli/splash of white wine can be added too if no kids for dinner!

notamumyetbutoneday Tue 10-Nov-09 14:44:00

We are having sausage pasta bake, this one

StirlingSwooshBang Tue 10-Nov-09 16:07:34

Smoked haddock and sweetcorn chowder with lots of bread & butter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now