Talk

Advanced search

Hummingbird Baking book

(11 Posts)
Mimi1977 Tue 10-Nov-09 10:47:00

Anyone have this - can't remember the full name. Looks fab but many reviews on Amazon say how many recipes don't work.

neverknowinglyundercatered Tue 10-Nov-09 10:50:35

I do, have only done the recipes for the chocolate and lemon cupcakes so far and both were fine...

PfftTheMagicDragon Tue 10-Nov-09 10:52:48

I bought it the other day, not made anything from it yet though.

AM planning on baking this weekend so shall let you know!

zanz1bar Tue 10-Nov-09 15:16:29

I didn't concentrate and got the American version from Amazon.
I have tried to convert the measurements but have found the cup cakes a bit doughy, but that could be my mistake.

clairesparkle Tue 10-Nov-09 15:27:35

I've made the plain vanilla cupcakes and the lemon cupcakes, and the blueberry cake. They're lovely, and look really professional but they are all enormous and SUPER sweet. Yes, I know they're cakes and meant to be sweet etc but once you've had a couple of cupcakes loaded with frosting you'll see what I mean. It is a beautiful book, but just not my cup(cake) of tea.

JANEITEluddite Tue 10-Nov-09 18:41:04

I've got it but have yet to make anything from it, so no use to you at all except to bump.

schroeder Wed 11-Nov-09 15:02:45

I've borrowed it from the library; i haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but they do look very heavy on the sugar. the best cupcake book is the crabapple bakery cupcake cookbook.

CMOTdibbler Wed 11-Nov-09 15:11:46

I bought it from the Book People, and am not impressed with the cakes at all. Which is really annoying as they look lovely

lucysmum Wed 11-Nov-09 15:17:36

The frosting is great but use normal UK fairy cakes underneath ! Some of the non cupcake recipes are OK but you need to pick and choose.

goingtohaveagoodnightssleep Wed 11-Nov-09 15:20:35

If you go to the Hummingbird website it will give you the corrections for the book. I've make a few things and have been very happy with them. Also for cupcakes use muffin cases and for muffins use extra large muffin cases.

goingtohaveagoodnightssleep Wed 11-Nov-09 15:21:52

Forgot to mention about half the amount of icing is still more than enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now