Talk

Advanced search

Pumpkins

(5 Posts)
ChunkyKitKat Sun 08-Nov-09 18:43:27

A very silly question here.

Are pumpkins the same thing as butternut squash? Closely related? I didn't carve ours up for Halloween and need to make it into something!

jamandjerusalem Sun 08-Nov-09 19:06:30

No, not the same but similar. Same family.

Pumpkins are more watery and I think they have less taste.

Are you asking whether you could substitute pumpkin in a recipe that calls for butternut squash? If so, I'd say yes. What is the recipe?

ChunkyKitKat Mon 09-Nov-09 09:02:20

Hi, thanks for reply jam.

It's a curry recipe, Pumpkin and Chick Pea Curry but on the ingredients list it says butternut squash, not pumpkin. It says also to use Thai yellow curry paste, do you think green curry paste would be OK as a substitute?

SexyDomesticatedDad Mon 09-Nov-09 11:50:38

Yes - would do the green curry - sounds fab

lisianthus Mon 09-Nov-09 16:09:29

In Oz, it's called butternut pumpkin, not squash anyway - I was really surprised to come over here and find one of my favourite vegetables had been demoted from pumpkin-hood. Well, that and that people didn't tend to eat much pumpkin and there seem to be so many fewer sorts of pumpkin over here (I've never seen an ironbark pumpkin in the supermarket - you would never call those watery). I grew up with roast pumpkin as a mandatory addition to the Sunday roast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now