Talk

Advanced search

How do you cook Braising Steak?

(10 Posts)
Bellared Sat 07-Nov-09 19:48:22

Everytime I have tried to cook it it ends up like cardboard.

I'm not browning it first and leaving it at room temp for a little while before I put it in the oven.

Thank you! grin

mummymoomy Sat 07-Nov-09 20:33:29

Hi there, I always cook it in a casserole in the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours but i do brown it first then coat it in flour and fry for another couple of minutes. i csnt ever fault the slow cooker, everthing seems to come out really tender. Hope that may help.

Bellared Sat 07-Nov-09 20:47:48

Brill, that DOES help grin I've only had it in the slow cooker for 2 hours! That's where I'm going wrong!

Thank you! X

ABetaDad Sat 07-Nov-09 20:53:10

Second the slow cooker idea.

Made a fantastic Beef bourguignon last week. Worked miles better than I imagined.

Fried everything up after marinading the beef as it says in the recipe I linked to and then just chucked it all in the slow cook for 4 hours.

Lovely with nice green veg and simple mash.

Heated Sat 07-Nov-09 21:03:27

Coat it seasoned flour, brown in butter on the hob.

I like cooked with whole shallots, mushrooms, herbs and either stock or beer.

Bring up to a simmer and then put in the oven on gas 4 for 3 hours min, and then turn the oven off and leave it. Reheat when required (or for the next day store in fridge once cool)

Bellared Sun 08-Nov-09 19:36:58

Thanks for the link ABD smile, I'll give that one a go but do you think it would work without the wine?

Heated, I did something like that before I met DH and thank you wink for reminding me!

Stupid question but when red meat has been defrosted and cooked can it be re-heated? I know it cant be done with white meat or fish but am not sure about red meat. blush

ABetaDad Sun 08-Nov-09 20:37:20

Bellared - not sure what would happen if you missed the wine. I just used on bottle of the absolute cheapest rough dry red I could find in the supermarket. Not two as is suggested in the recipe.

ABetaDad Sun 08-Nov-09 20:40:30

Yes raw red meat can be cooked/stewed thoroughly and frozen and then reheated thoroughly and eaten.

I have saved some of the left over from the recipe I linked above so if I have a bad tummy later on thsi week I'll be sure to let you know. shock

SexyDomesticatedDad Mon 09-Nov-09 12:01:48

Pressure cooking wors fab on the cuts like this - quicker than the slow cooker if you are in a hurry!

Bellared Tue 10-Nov-09 13:00:49

Thanks ABD, I sometimes make way to much and don't like waste.

Wow, more Dads!

SDD, I'm scared of pressure cookers. How do you use them? blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now