Talk

Advanced search

Eating as a family

(6 Posts)
SoniaMum Fri 06-Nov-09 19:40:05

I have a nineteen month old son and I am keen to get us eating as a family as soon as possible, but I don't know whether I am being too ambitious with him at this age.

My hsband does not get home in time on weekdays but I would like to eat supper with him.

We all know the benefits of eating as a family but v.confused when to start. We presently do breakfast, lunch and supper at the weekends but cannot do it with a 19 month during the week as I physically cannot eat with him and then do the bed and bath routine. Any helpful suggestions and/or ideas? What do you do?

Thanks for any comments/help.

FlamingoBOOMbo Fri 06-Nov-09 19:42:09

Well our babies have just eaten at the same time as us, rather than us eating at the same time as them IYSWIM.

Northernlurker Fri 06-Nov-09 19:46:08

It is possible to raise well adjusted and polite offspring without eating with them at all times. Because of times getting home etc dh and I only really eat with the children at weekends - and then it's mostly lunchtimes.

So the first thing I think you need to do is stop beating yourself up about this! Secondly 19 months definately isn't too young to learn about the expectations people have for good table manners - so even if he's eating alone you don't tolerate wilful messing around etc. Obviously 'mess' itself totally goes with the territory at that age! I think you sound like you're doing fine to me.

InterruptingKid Fri 06-Nov-09 19:47:17

oh its a good idea but for us its generally akin to having your toe nails clipped.
you have to do it, you know its good but you cant wait for it to be over.

( although they are gettingbetter)

Rangirl Fri 06-Nov-09 19:52:49

I think its great in theory but difficult in practice,DH cannot really get home before 7.What I try to do is sit down with DC when they have their tea and have something like a yoghurt or banana,sadly not a meal or I would be even fatter!!

inthesticks Sat 07-Nov-09 16:48:29

What Northernlurker said.
Here when the DCs were little we ate as a family only at weekend lunchtimes and out at restaurants.Otherwise the children had their main meal at 5pm and DH and I ate later in the evening.
The reasons for this were
a) the children would be in bed by 7pm and we could have peaceful grown up time,
b) they were unable to wait until after 5pm. Always hungry by 4 and I don't like too many snacks,
c)after about aged 2 they were so faddy it would have severely restricted our menu.

I always sat with them at the table when they ate so they learned good manners and how to eat with adults.
When they were about 10 they were much less fussy eaters and more able to last and I changed things. We now always eat together around 7pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now