Talk

Advanced search

Peppermint creams anyone?

(10 Posts)
marjoriedawessassy Fri 17-Jun-05 09:49:08

Want to make these with dd for fathers day, cos she wanted to make sweeties for daddy and these are easy. BUT I can't be sure how to do it! My recipe books are for the real thing with uncooked egg whites which I don't want to do so can you help me?
Icing sugar
hot water
peppermint essence

Is that it? What sort of quantities?

TIA.

jangly Fri 17-Jun-05 09:52:33

Never made this recipe but its from an old trusted cookbook: 1lb icing sugar, 1 white of egg, few drops peppermint oil, 1 tablespoon water.

jangly Fri 17-Jun-05 09:54:14

Ah yes, egg white. Perhaps you can't do it without? (the white is safer than the yolk, and if you get lion stamped eggs?...)

Enid Fri 17-Jun-05 09:55:25

you cant do it without egg whites.

lion stamped eggs should be fine.

they need to dry for a day after making. When they are dry you can dip half into melted chocolate.

marjoriedawessassy Fri 17-Jun-05 09:55:57

Ta jangly, but I'd rather avoid egg white cos dd will eat more than her fair share.

I know we made them when I was in Brownies (MANY moons ago!) and there was no eggy stuff then.

Anyone else?

beansmum Fri 17-Jun-05 09:57:05

if you do it without egg it's just peppermint icing isn't it?

MandM Fri 17-Jun-05 10:01:00

Not sure if you can do them without egg whites. How about this for a really easy childrens' chocolate truffle recipe:

1 pack full fat philadelphia
4oz/100g Bourneville drinking chocolate
4oz/100g icing sugar

Beat all of the above together, adda few drops of milk or a little extra icing sugar if the mixture is too dry/soft. Spoon out of the bowl 1 teaspoon at a time, roll into a ball, then roll in chocolate strands/grated chocolate etc and place in a petit four case.

Sounds horrible, and doesn't look too pretty when you're making them, but kids love it and trust me, they taste divine

Pacific Fri 17-Jun-05 10:03:22

You can buy powdered egg white beside the home-baking stuff in most supermarkets. Make it up EXACTLY according to the instructions and use it in your standard recipe. It is perfectly safe, but really difficult to reconstitute. I think that using real peppermint oil instead of perrpermint flavouring or essence is nicer.
HTH

marjoriedawessassy Fri 17-Jun-05 10:05:04

MandM - bingo! they sound ace (and dd really wanted to do chocs for her dad so these will satisfy her more than pepp creams).

Ta for all others too.

MandM Fri 17-Jun-05 10:11:27

Glad to be of help. They look really pretty for a present if you get milk, dark and white chocolate to grate and roll them in, or buy the tubs of milk dark and white strands, so that each one is a bit different.

Be prepared for sticky hands and lots of fun! Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now