Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to egg for binding and for coating with breadcrumbs please

(18 Posts)
suiledonne Fri 06-Nov-09 10:45:46

DD1 is allergic to egg. We use an egg substitute for baking but just wondering if I want to make fish cakes, veggie burgers etc. could I use the egg substitute or are there other ways of doing it? Also if I want o coat foods in breadcrumb what works other than egg?

I got a Finger Foods kids recipe book with loads of lovely ideas but nearly everything has egg in.

Thanks

paranormalghostygoat Fri 06-Nov-09 11:04:44

Hi I don't have an answer for you but someone on here might be able to help.

StirlingSwooshBang Fri 06-Nov-09 19:16:24

My DD2 is allergic to dairy and egg.

When I make chicken nuggets, I drop chicken pieces into soya milk and then roll in the breadcrumbs - it doesn't work as well as the flour/egg/breadcrumbs method but it is ok and DD2 loves them (chop some parsley and mix with the breadcrumbs too).

I gave up with kids food books as all the recipes had egg or dairy in.

I just make what I want and adjust the recipe so that she can eat it.

smile

StirlingSwooshBang Fri 06-Nov-09 19:23:28

I used to look for inspiration on vegan websites as they have lots of dairy & egg free baking (you can keep in the dairy). See Vegan Village and Vegan Society.

Also take a look at this Kids with allergies website.

callaird Fri 06-Nov-09 19:55:30

Pesto works well for chicken nuggets. Not sure it'll be very nice with fishcakes etc!

giggleloop Fri 06-Nov-09 20:04:06

Yoghurt works

iwantitnow Sat 07-Nov-09 20:37:55

DD and DS both egg allergic - I find that buttermilk (buy it from Waitrose) is best then coat in breadcrumbs.

Fish cakes and burgers I just find they often bind fine without the egg.

I find putting stuff in the oven food breaks up less than frying it when you can't use egg.

NewToRenting Wed 08-Feb-17 12:58:41

Thin paste of cornflour plus water, season it if you want. Dip fishcake/ burger, roll in breadcrumbs, fry!

unlimiteddilutingjuice Wed 08-Feb-17 13:01:39

Mashed or grated potato works.
Or tinned tomatoes for some reason

canihaveacoffeeplease Wed 08-Feb-17 23:06:37

Milk works really well, for fishcakes, fish fingers, nuggets, goujons, croquettes... highly recommend!

poochiepants Wed 08-Feb-17 23:08:35

I've used melted butter brushed on with pantone crumbs. Works well...

poochiepants Wed 08-Feb-17 23:09:05

I meant brushed on then dipped in the crumbs....

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 08-Feb-17 23:09:57

i use anything in the fridge that needs using up really, so pretty much all the thing suggested already, pesto, ketchup, yogurt, milk, soured cream

for choice on chicken or fish I'll use mayo...can you get egg free mayo?...it's a good texture and doesn't fall off with the crumbs which the thinner saucey type things are inclined to do

OrchidaceousRose Wed 08-Feb-17 23:10:12

I usually soak in Koko (coconut milk alternative), dust in cornflour, wait for it to settle for a wee bit, then roll in breadcrumbs(press on in a bit more than usual)

TheSpottedZebra Wed 08-Feb-17 23:13:36

I was a bit stuck once and used tomato purée - seemed to work!

DouglasFirs Wed 08-Feb-17 23:17:13

Chia seeds or flax seeds - just add water to them and they form a kind of gooey gel that binds things like veggie burgers.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Wed 08-Feb-17 23:18:28

I've used marmalade before for chicken.

ceeveebee Wed 08-Feb-17 23:18:51

Crime fraiche or Greek yoghurt
Is mayo ok as the egg is sterilised?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now