Talk

Advanced search

Ideas please, what can I do with a large butternutsquash other than roastt it?

(20 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:36:42

Hi all

I have a large butternutsquash give me some inspiration please.

Stinkyfeet Thu 05-Nov-09 13:37:35

Soup?

gemmummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:38:25

I've got a nice recipe for butternut squash and chilli soup. Really easy, and freezes well. Let me know if you want it.

4madboys Thu 05-Nov-09 13:39:13

yep i make butternut squash and carrot soup and also do a chilli one, both dead easy

theyoungvisiter Thu 05-Nov-09 13:39:43

butternut squash and goatscheese risotto (make a normal white risotto base, roast cubed BNS and stir into risotto along with crumbled goats cheese)

butternut squash "kiev" - this uses the hollow end, you scoop out the seeds and fill the hollow with garlic butter, then roast.

butternut squash cupcakes - these are DELICIOUS - a friend made some for me the other day. I will try to find the recipe.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:40:31

Soup sounds good, gemmummy if you could that would be good have got loads of chilli in the freezer.

thanks both

theyoungvisiter Thu 05-Nov-09 13:41:19

here is the cupcake recipe, it calls for pumpkin but you can substitute BNS (which is what I ate).

Twas delicious - a bit like a rich carrot cake, only smoother? Didn't taste of squash at all, just buttery and nutty.

theyoungvisiter Thu 05-Nov-09 13:41:44

oops sorry, here really is the recipe! Honest.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:44:35

theyoungvistor probably would have done the risotto (minus the goatscheese) if we hadn't of had it for lunch on sunday. But the cupcakes sounds interesting, was going to do baking as well so if you could find it that would be great.

At this rate I'm gonna have to buy some more grin who says we only care about biscuits!

alarkaspree Thu 05-Nov-09 13:46:32

Thai coconut curry?

Iklboo Thu 05-Nov-09 13:47:20

It's lovely mashed with sweet potato as an alternative to mashed, erm, normal potato

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:47:27

they do sound fab

<goes off to check I ahve everything i need>

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:49:11

thai curry, that sounds good alarkaspree

gemmummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:52:37

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12808/butternut-squash-soup-with-chilli-and-crme-frache

gemmummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:53:07

doh can someone remind me how to post a link?

cakeywakeywhizzbangmakey Thu 05-Nov-09 13:54:51

Butternut squash soup has the loveliest velvety texture. May have to go and get one myself .... <bustles off to shop>

4madboys Thu 05-Nov-09 13:58:32

oh yes curry is good too, we do a lovely thai coconut curry, well my dp does

the soup is easy, fry onion, chop and peel squash and carrots then fry them with the onion for a few mins, then add stock, about a pint, then simmer until soft and whizz with a blender.

i grill some bacon and break it into pieces to have in the soup like croutons and then serve with crusty bread, great on a cold day

SerenityNowAKABleh Thu 05-Nov-09 13:58:56

I recommend adding in coconut milk to the soup. It goes amazingly well with butternut. You could also make butternut gratin (like potato dauphinoise, replacing the potato with butternut). The Times had a thing on 30 different butternut recipes, here.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 20:29:54

Thanks to everyone for your ideas, am defo going to be doing some in the next few weeks however today the winner was the cupcakes grin

Thanks theyoungvistor, they are very very good. DD and DH love them. They are so soft and moist, and hey must count as 1 of my 5 a day wink

theyoungvisiter Thu 05-Nov-09 20:31:43

HOORAY!!!

[shakes pompoms]

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now