Talk

Advanced search

quick! help needed re: cooking frozen chicken

(9 Posts)
thisisyesterday Wed 04-Nov-09 17:09:29

so, i accidentally didn't make enough dinner for dp, but i have a frozen chicken breast in the freezer.
can i cook it from frozen???
am a veggie myself so very rarely cook meat and don'twant to poison him!
if i can cook it... how?

MaryBS Wed 04-Nov-09 17:10:33

If you thinly slice it, it'll defrost really quickly, then you can do him a stir fry???

thisisyesterday Wed 04-Nov-09 17:13:52

hmmm that might just work, I have enough rice for him so could chuck that in too.

he won't be in for an hour or so, so i have a bit of time to play

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 04-Nov-09 17:16:38

No! Don't cook it from frozen!

Do you have a microwave to defrost it in?

Maize Wed 04-Nov-09 17:18:31

Stick it in cold water for about 50 minutes, will defrost most of it and then defrost in the microwave.

thisisyesterday Wed 04-Nov-09 17:23:19

yeahm i have a microwave. how long should i do it for?

SomeGuy Wed 04-Nov-09 17:28:53

I wouldn't microwave it, would put it in cold water and then chop it up fine and stirfry.

There's no health problem cooking from frozen in any case, it's just a texture issue really.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 04-Nov-09 17:38:06

There is a health problem cooking chicken from frozen - it's to do with killing off salmonella and camphilobacter in particular.

The risk is that the chicken isn't heated to a high enough temperature to kill off these bacteria.

thisisyesterday Wed 04-Nov-09 17:39:17

well, i've microwaved it, it seems to be thawed all the way through, have now stuck it in the oven with a tin of tomatoes, some garlic and other crap and will cook it for a long, long time.

hopefully it'll be ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now