Talk

Advanced search

beginners recipe book suggestions....

(10 Posts)
bumpybecky Wed 04-Nov-09 16:40:04

I'd like to buy dd1(11) a recipe book for Christmas. She's very interested in cooking and I'd like to encourage this (as I am very lazy....)

Last year I bought her this..

Sam Stern's Real Food Real Fast

but his writing style (very teenage trendy) irritates me blush and makes me feel old!

So I was hoping for suggestions for proper books aimed at beginners. Any recommendations?

thanks

notwavingjustironing Wed 04-Nov-09 16:47:03

You could do a lot worse than Jamie's Ministry of Food. It makes nice meals, and explains all the different techniques very clearly and in an unpatronising way.

Othersideofthechannel Wed 04-Nov-09 17:14:44

Usborne Cookery School. Aimed at children with step by step pictures but both DH and I use them.

bumpybecky Thu 05-Nov-09 00:29:24

thanks both of you

I've ordered one of the usborne ones, healthy recipe cards.

I like the look of the Jamie Oliver book for her (and me!) but it's a bit out of budget for Christmas. I'll keep it in mind for her birthday though

franch Thu 05-Nov-09 20:25:53

Definitely Ministry of Food

overmydeadbody Thu 05-Nov-09 20:30:01

Well I'm going to sound old and fuddy duddy but I'd say Delia's hoe to cook series are the best beginner books. Her recipes always work and she covers all the basics that everyone should know.

overmydeadbody Thu 05-Nov-09 20:33:35

and I bet if you look on ebay you'll find second hand copies of her book (it comes as either one big book or three parts) quite cheap.

overmydeadbody Thu 05-Nov-09 20:35:24

this one but the postage is high on that particular one

overmydeadbody Thu 05-Nov-09 20:36:26

three books here I'd say that's a bargain

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 20:37:55

Jamie's Ministry of Food is fab and very easy. She'll be making pies, curries, varoius veg and whatever very easy and quickly. In fact I've had the mince beef and onion pie for tea tonight.

Delia's how to cook is also very good, there are lots of very good basics. I always use her cheats cheese sauce.

I'd probably go for Jamies for a teenager to start and then move on to Delia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now