Talk

Advanced search

Pea and Ham Soup

(7 Posts)
Gloria42 Wed 04-Nov-09 10:59:35

No, not from a chicken (for those of a certain age grin who remembers the Knor adverts)

I have recently been craving this soup but haven't been able to find a proper recipe, can anyone help?

blissa Wed 04-Nov-09 11:25:08

BBC Goodfood

Waitrose recipe

squeaver Wed 04-Nov-09 11:28:15

Balls, I was just going to post "from a chicken? Now that's clever..."

You also have to be Scottish, Gloria, as I have discovered when among English people. In a restaurant. And other public places.

<<tumbleweed>>

squashedfrogs Wed 04-Nov-09 11:28:19

one onion diced
one pack of split peas (green or yellow - 500g)
one soup pack of smoked bacon bits (approx 500g)

Fry the onions in a little oil until softened, add the bacon bits and fry for a couple of minutes. Then add the peas and cover with water. Simmer until peas have broken down - this could take a while, poss 45 mins or more.

The key is to keep adding water if it is getting too thick until it is the consistency that you want. Any leftover soup usually goes very thick once it's cold. This can be fixed by adding a little vegetable stock until it is the consistency you want.

The soup packs of bacon bits I use come from Scotland (brought back by relatives) but I'm sure that a bacon or ham could be substituted quite easily.

Hope this helps.

squashedfrogs Wed 04-Nov-09 11:29:46

Oh and adding some pepper would probably be a good idea grin (no salt needed normally)

Gloria42 Wed 04-Nov-09 12:22:26

Squeaver, yes Scottish!

I was going to not mention the "from a chicken" bit, but was too scared that nobody would know what I was on about!!!

Gloria42 Wed 04-Nov-09 12:24:22

Thanks Squashed Frogs, that sounds like exactly what I was looking for. The Waitrose one looks good too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now