Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fresh milk for under one

(32 Posts)
Pomi Thu 16-Jun-05 14:52:02

Did anyone started their kids on fresh milk before the age of one. I want to try for my 6 month old. He eats well for his age but drinks very little milk.

Kelly1978 Thu 16-Jun-05 14:53:20

you shouldn't start cows milk before 1.

There are many differences between breast milk and cow’s milk / formula. Cow’s milk is not recommended for babies until they are at least 10 to 12 months of age or older (ask your doctor). Cow’s milk is much more difficult for an infants digestive system to break down and is not nutritionally equal to breast milk. This goes for all types of cow’s milk, regardless of whether it’s whole, low fat, skim, powdered or any other form. The differences between breast milk and cows milk are explained below.

Breast Milk
Antibodies – Helps your baby’s immune system gain strength, fighting off bacteria and viruses. When you or your baby is exposed to a virus or bacteria, your breast milk "fights back" by producing antibodies specific to that virus or bacteria. Formula is exactly the same, time after time, regardless of what your baby is exposed to.

Water – Your breast milk contains the perfect amount of water to satisfy your baby’s thirst and adjusts to your baby’s needs.

Fat – Breast milk contains more fat than cow’s milk and is more easily absorbed by your baby. This is one of the reasons that breast fed babies have different stools than bottle (formula) fed babies. Since the baby is not excreting any wasted fats the stool will be a yellow mustard color with a mildly sweet smell.

Protein – Protein that is used to help your baby’s body grow and develop is in just the right amount and in a form most readily absorbed.

Carbohydrates – Breast milk contains more carbohydrates than cow’s milk. These carbohydrates provide a very important source of energy.

Vitamins and minerals – As long as you, the mother, eat a reasonably well balanced diet, your breast milk will contain all of your baby’s vitamin and mineral requirements, until about age 6 months.

Taste - Breast milk changes in taste, depending on the different foods the mother eats. Breastfed babies are more likely to accept new and different foods once they start on solids (not recommended until age 6 months) than their formula-fed peers, because formula tastes the same every single time, while breastmilk takes on a taste similar to the different foods a mother eats.

Cow's Milk
No antibodies – Antibodies that are in breast milk are not in cow’s milk / formula and cannot be artificially produced.

Water – The amount of water in cow’s milk / formula can’t change to suit your baby’s need the way breast milk can.

Fat – The fat in cow’s milk / formula is very different than the fat in breast milk and your baby can’t absorb it as easily.

Protein – The amount of protein in cow’s milk / formula is at least double the amount in breast milk and is also a different and less digestible type.

Carbohydrates – Cow’s milk / formula has smaller amounts of carbohydrates than breast milk.

Vitamins and minerals – Cow’s milk / formula has more of some vitamins and minerals and less of others than breast milk; it’s not the right amount for your baby.

There are over 100 ingredients in breast milk which ARE NOT in formula, even the new "DHA added" formulas. Formula is intended as a replacement for breastmilk when breastmilk is not available, but sadly, it does not even come close to it!

Hope that helps!

WigWamBam Thu 16-Jun-05 14:53:28

It's OK for breakfast cereals, but it's not recommended as a drink for babies under one year.

Kelly1978 Thu 16-Jun-05 14:54:09

The same goes if you are formula feeding btw.

Sax Thu 16-Jun-05 15:07:57

yes mine all started full fat milk at 10m which I realise is before the recommended age!!!!!

chipmonkey Thu 16-Jun-05 15:50:02

As I understand it, its OK to use as part of cooking, I.e making a sauce etc after 6 months but not as their main drink till 1 yo

NannyL Thu 16-Jun-05 19:05:15

Cows milks is NOT recommended as a main drink until 12 months.... saying that an occasional drink of it isnt going to hurt the child.

You can use cows milk in cooking etc from 6 months and also use other cows dairy products from then.... butter cheese yoghurt etc...

that said several year back (when me and mys sister were babies (24 years ago) the advcie was that full fat cows milk was fine from 6 months...

i went from breast to cows milk at 7 months and im here.... it DIDNT harm me or my sister (or any of my generation friends who did had the same then )

I also from 2 decided i didnt like full fat (or semi) milk, nor butter / cream / cheese / yoghurt etc... so from about 2 i ONLY drank / consumed on cereal skimmed milk (my mum figured it was better than NO milk or dairy at all)... and here i am fit and well!

Nightynight Fri 17-Jun-05 06:34:47

Yes - mine had fresh goats milk (which is easier to digest than cows milk) from 6 months. But not huge amounts. They were still being breast fed as well.

dill4 Tue 28-Jun-05 13:32:21

Does anyone know if it is OK to switch from formula milk ( was sadly unable to breast feed despite all the help in the world) to some kind of natural milk i.e. cows, goats, sheeps ect... From earlier on? I have a serious allergy to vegetable oils (present in all formula milks) and have developed a serious contact allergy/allergic eczema/dermatitis which is now all over my body and constantly getting infected. I am at the end of my rope with it, I want to do the best for my son but it is getting beyond practical... My son is 5 months, I know this is not recommended till 1 yr, and as a person with allergies myself I dont really want to do anything that may rock the boat... Thats why I would like to hear about other peoples experiences as well as get medical advice...

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 13:34:14

I think that natural milks are more likely to cause allergies in your son (particularly if you have food allergies yourself).

Maybe there are some formula milks which are less likely to bring up your allergy? Are some vegetable oils less allergenic for you than others?

dill4 Tue 28-Jun-05 13:35:12

I Just posted my message about my allergy to the formula milk... I forgot to ask... Does anyone, anywhere in the world know of a formula milk without vegetable oils, the only one I can have is grapeseed oil.??

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 13:36:58

Oh, you don't have to wait until exactly one, you could switch a couple of weeks before, at least, without any real risk. Particularly if your DS takes cow's milk in food and so on by then.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 13:38:02

This page has some information. It sounds like different manufacturers use different fats. No sign of anyone using grapeseed though.

whirlygiggle Tue 28-Jun-05 14:00:09

Pomi-I gave my DS cows milk from 6 months, but only after trying every formula under the sun! Every one made her sick, so I tried cows milk and she kept it down...yipeeee! Given a choice though, I would have given her an iron enriched formula like progress but cows milk is surely better that no milk and tastes so much nicer!
Hope that helps.

redshoes Tue 28-Jun-05 21:06:05

As I understand it, it is that cow's milk does not contain as much iron as formula, so maybe would depend how much iron-rich food your db eats. I seem to remember headlines a few years ago along the lines of 'no benefit to babies to be given formula instead of cows milk' type. Check the WHO website?

dill4 Wed 29-Jun-05 00:28:21

Thanks for the advice and links- looked but didn't get far-... saw my health visitor today and she advised me that it may be better to start him on cows milk plus suppliment ( formula just has suppliments in it to add nutrition)... if I can just get through the next 4 weeks till he is 6 mnths... still wondering if ewes or goats milk may be better... Any thoughts??

bobbybob Wed 29-Jun-05 02:12:02

Given your very allergic nature I would be loathe to give him any straight milk as early as six months before I had tried Neocate or another elemental formula and seen if that was better for both of you.

tatt Wed 29-Jun-05 05:10:12

wouldn't put any child on fresh milk before about one, few weeks before if there was a severe problem, because of the allergy risk. Pomi have you tried flavouring the milk or changing formula? I'd try a lactose reduced formula or a goats milk one before fresh milk. Doesn't matter if they don't have much milk if they have yoghurt and cheese.

Dill4 Have you looked at goats milk? This is vitacare's number 0800 328 5826
This is a good site for contact details for other milks like nutramigen or neocate. http://www.lactoseintolerance.co.uk/

NotQuiteCockney Wed 29-Jun-05 09:18:07

dill4, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think your HV is talking rubbish.

To make formula they not only add things to cow's milk, they also take away (salt, I think) and change things (the proteins are made easier to digest).

I think you'd be better off seeing a nutritionist or pediatrician before doing something like this ...

sazhig Wed 29-Jun-05 09:18:41

Pomi - just a thought - have you tried reducing his solid intake a bit? He may be filling up on solids and therefore not want the milk.

dill4 Thu 30-Jun-05 00:12:28

Tatt, I have been talking to a number of people and come up with a concensus that ewes milk may be best... If it becomes necessary. But I will look into the goats as well... either has to be better than cows milk, he'll get enough of that, anyway as he gets older.

But, actually, right at the moment, today, I feel that I have been on top of my allergy situation by using lots of cloths and gloves ect.. To completely avoid the allergen... And the rash is less angry and the infection is nearly all gone... so... maybe I'll get away with it!?...

NotQuiteCockney, You are right, the protien has been broken down or something... Anyway the HV is going to get advice from a pediatric dietition and get back to me.

dill4 Thu 30-Jun-05 00:28:40

Tatt, just managed to find info on nutramigen and neocate... Both are especially high in vegetable oils, I suppose because they are for people who can't have milk... So, they would probably be worse for me... Thanks for trying, though...

Chandra Thu 30-Jun-05 02:46:35

Sorry for hijacking, but doesn anybody knows about a milk made out of some root vegetable? DS is intolerant to cows, goats and to soya milk, have been mentioned about it but don't know he name of the product...

bobbybob Thu 30-Jun-05 03:57:58

dill - they are neocate is high in vegetable oil, but it has been highly processed and modified, and should not cause a contact reaction.

tatt Thu 30-Jun-05 05:06:07

dill4 I mentioned goats milk because you can get goats milk formula (details of what's in it from vitacare). Don't know of an ewe's milk formula but the lactose intolerance site lists supplies of ewes milk too. Agree with bobbybob about the veg oil, they'll obviously be careful about it as its for very allergenic babies. Still if you can avoid allergens that's better

Chandra could you be thinking of rice or oats milk? Rice milk, in the view of my family, tastes better but its not a complete food and if you give it to a child you need to be pretty careful about the rest of their diet. I don't know how good oats milk is as its a taste I'm not keen to acquire

Pomi how it's going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now