Talk

Advanced search

Cookbook with lots of nice vegetable recipes?

(14 Posts)
libbygrayhair Mon 02-Nov-09 20:19:18

My first post here. smile

I want to eat more veg. My DH cooks the main evening meal, but is more interested in meat than in veg which are either boiled or steamed. I'd like some interesting recipes using vegetables that I can cook and freeze for me, e.g. pate, casseroles, which I can eat at midday, and also for accompanying the main meal when we have guests.

I know that if I go into a bookshop or onto amazon I'll just get overwhelmed by the choice, so if anyone could recommend a good starting point I'd be grateful.

JANEITEluddite Mon 02-Nov-09 20:24:36

Madhur Jafrey's World Vegetarian is excellent, especially if you like spicy food (although not all the recipes are spicy).

Blackduck Mon 02-Nov-09 20:32:50

Sarah Raven - The Garden Cook Book - not strictly a veggie cookbook, but a cookbook that focuses on the veg IYKWIM so maybe work well with DH too?

moondog Mon 02-Nov-09 20:37:25

I've just bought Nigel slater's latest.
It's fab.

fishie Mon 02-Nov-09 20:41:22

i have not got it but ottolenghi is meant to be very good. anything middle eastern will have loads of cooked vegetable recipes in.

MadameDuBain Mon 02-Nov-09 20:44:22

This is a good book - it has main course but also separate vegetable and salad sections. Very Italian style though so you have to like that kind of thing.

I also used to have a veggie book by Rose Elliot that I loved, but I now can't find it, but have a look for her on Amazon.

iheartdusty Mon 02-Nov-09 20:52:17

I like this sophie grigson Vegetable Bible which is fairly basic and very comprehensive

JetLi Mon 02-Nov-09 20:53:05

Little sis swears by Sophie Grigson Eat Your Greens.

happysmiley Tue 03-Nov-09 08:56:39

I second Sophie Grigson's vegetable bible.

I also like the Ottolenghi book (but have to admit that I've only cooked the meat dishes and a couple of cakes!)

Bonsoir Tue 03-Nov-09 08:57:13

River Café Cook Book Green.

EssieW Tue 03-Nov-09 09:03:35

Another vote for Sarah Raven's garden cookbook. It's great.

Also Out of the Box by Keith Abel. very easy and quick receipes. Has lots of ideas for veg dishes to accompany main meals. I have cooked loads from this over the last couple of years.

Also Riverford cookbook by Guy Watson.

I have a veg box weekly and wouldn't survive without the last two. I've got the Sarah Raven one of the library and it's on my Christmas list

libbygrayhair Tue 03-Nov-09 09:48:46

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions - just what I was hoping for to point me in the right direction.

christiana Tue 03-Nov-09 09:50:01

Message withdrawn

titfertat Tue 03-Nov-09 11:25:21

I find Good Housekeeping and BBC Good Food recipes really reliable as they're well tested and very easy to follow, so would suggest these:

"Good Food": 101 Veggie Dishes

"Good Housekeeping" Step by Step Vegetarian Cookbook

Or there's a new Good Housekeeping Family Vegetarian Cooking book coming out soon and available for pre-order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now