Talk

Advanced search

Egg storage...

(14 Posts)
mumblecrumble Sun 01-Nov-09 18:07:26

Hello,

Do you know how long eggs keep from when they are laid?

ALso, what is the best way to store them....? thanks

sarah293 Sun 01-Nov-09 18:14:23

Message withdrawn

mumblecrumble Sun 01-Nov-09 18:21:55

Better than the fridge?

sarah293 Sun 01-Nov-09 18:25:39

Message withdrawn

TeaSleepFood Sun 01-Nov-09 18:29:41

Egg men at the market always tell me to keep them at room temp but I don't know why. I do what I'm told like a good girl

flyingcloud Mon 02-Nov-09 10:34:58

They should always be cooked from room temperature, whether its for sauces, cakes, etc. I don't know what is best and I personally always leave them out of the fridge.

LowLevelWhingeing Mon 02-Nov-09 13:08:19

I saw this on Oprah once - (honest)

They can be kept out of the fridge and are best cooked from room temp.

BUT
They last a week ish longer if kept in the fridge.

I always go to Oprah for my food hygiene info grin

TheDevilEatsBabies Mon 02-Nov-09 13:10:36

the reason you don't put them in the fridge is because the condensation can remove the protective layer on the shell.
the best place to put them is somewhere cool and with a constant temperature and no condensation.

like in the box in a cupboard.

TheDevilEatsBabies Mon 02-Nov-09 13:11:36

by law you have 28 days from when they're laid, but most supermarket eggs have been around at least a week before you buy them.

if they're fresh from the hen's bum, then it is 28 days.

LowLevelWhingeing Mon 02-Nov-09 13:13:20

Oprah's full of shit. I've always said so.

bigTillyMint Mon 02-Nov-09 13:15:58

I keep them in the fridge (out of the way!) and they never last longer than a week as DD loves egg mayo butties.

But it's definitely OK to keep them on the side - you could buy one of those wire hens to store them ingrin

nanafantastic Mon 02-Nov-09 13:23:16

The reason you shouldn't keep them in the fridge is because the shells are porous and consequently can pick up tastes from other heavily smelling food stuffs, e.g. garlic bread or butter.

They do last longer in the fridge but IME most people eat their eggs within one week of purchase and they're so much nicer cooked from room temperature!

mumblecrumble Mon 02-Nov-09 16:44:03

Nice one.
Have bought 60 eggs at a farm shop as I had no change. I reckoned on having 3/4 weeks to eat them, we pln to be baking lots so ok.

Hmmmm currently in fridge but wondering if I have room on the side. DD pulls everything off and top shelf of frdge is easiest...

Flavours in interesting.

The eggs were 6p each. I was chuffed.

MitchyInge Mon 02-Nov-09 16:47:08

thought it was v bad to refrigerate eggs?

mine live in a beautiful china hen that matches my butter dish - where has that thread gone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now