Talk

Advanced search

How to cook carrots other than boil.

(17 Posts)
couture1 Sun 01-Nov-09 17:44:12

I caught the end of a cooking programme yesterday morning and Im sure the chef was suggesting to cook the carrots in butter to retian the flavour. Can carrots be cooked this way?

JANEITEluddite Sun 01-Nov-09 17:46:40

yes.

They are also delicious roasted with a bit of oil, some salt and pepper, a bit of honey or brown sugar and some cumin seeds.

AnnieBeansMum Sun 01-Nov-09 17:46:59

Oooh yes. I always do my carrots this way and it is bloody lovely!

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 01-Nov-09 17:49:28

here's a recipe

RealityBites Sun 01-Nov-09 17:52:55

Message withdrawn

Milliways Sun 01-Nov-09 17:55:18

I just cut them in chunks and throw them in with the roast potatoes for last 25 mins or so. Nothing more than a quick toss in the fat/oil in the pan. The kids LOVE them like that, much better than plain boiled & no faffing about (and no extra washing up )

couture1 Sun 01-Nov-09 17:58:53

I've been having boring boiled carrots all these years, I 'll try these recipes out. Thank you. Any tips for cooking cabbage?

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 01-Nov-09 18:01:16

White cabbage?

Shred finely and boil in salted water for a couple of minutes. Drain.

In the pan you boiled the cabbage, gently fry a large, thinly sliced onion in a good knob of butter, with lots of black pepper. When softened, turn up the heat, add the cabbage back to the pan, stir so it's all coated in buttery juices, then turn down again, put the lid on and cook gently for around 10-20 minutes.

Also nice with the juice of a lemon squeezed into it before the cooking.

RealityBites Sun 01-Nov-09 18:07:15

Message withdrawn

shallishanti Sun 01-Nov-09 18:10:40

cut carrots quite thing, put them in a parcel of foil with a few dots of butter, bake.
lovely

JANEITEluddite Sun 01-Nov-09 18:54:25

I've just done savoy cabbage for dinner. I shredded it then cooked it in a very little water for five minutes with the lid on, so it was sort of steamed, rather than boiled. Then I added salt and pepper and a teaspoon of butter and stirred it over the flame until the butter had melted. It was lovely.

couture1 Sun 01-Nov-09 20:37:05

The carrots were divine - gorgeous, never having plain boiled carrots again. Thanks everyone.

couture1 Sun 01-Nov-09 20:37:13

The carrots were divine - gorgeous, never having plain boiled carrots again. Thanks everyone.

CaptainUnderpants Sun 01-Nov-09 20:54:29

crushed carrots cumin and goats cheese

TheRedQueen Sun 01-Nov-09 20:55:13

Do people normally boil them then? I presumed that would destroy the vitamin C. I always cut them into thin rounds or strips and steam them (I have a suspended colander-type thing. It's how I do almost all our veg).

JetLi Mon 02-Nov-09 20:51:40

Inspired by this thread, I oven roasted our humble carrots tonight in some olive oil, a touch of water, sprinkled with cumin seeds and freshly ground black pepper. Had them with haggis, duck-fat roast spuds and marrowfat peas. Carrots were divine and a bit black on the edges grin

JANEITEluddite Mon 02-Nov-09 21:21:55

Jet - if you are short of time you can also cook the carrot chunks slightly in the microwave first in a tiny bit of olive oil (maybe 3 or 4 minutes) and then roast - they cook really quickly then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now