Talk

Advanced search

Crouton recipe

(6 Posts)
red37 Sun 01-Nov-09 13:49:09

Making potato and leek soup in the slow cooker wanted to add some croutons

They a probably the most simplest thing to make but I have never done them before

any ideas ?

tia

Pacific Sun 01-Nov-09 14:02:14

Dice any bread but white is best.

Finely chop a little garlic.

Put the bread and garlic in a fring pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Stir and toss the croutons until they are brown and crispy.

theyoungvisiter Sun 01-Nov-09 14:15:06

I do them in the oven which I find easier as it's more "hands free".

I put salt, pepper and sometimes mixed herbs and/or crushed garlic in a large bowl, along with a good slosh of olive oil and a tblsp or two of melted butter.

Cut bread into cubes (I like v chunky 1 inch cubes of granary for kind of "rustic" recipes, or small 1 cm cubes of white for more delicate recipes). It helps if the bread is slightly stale.

Toss the cubes in the butter/oil/herb mixture, making sure all the cubes are coated in oil. If necessary add more oil.

Spread evenly over a baking tray and cook in a hot oven until golden. This is difficult to quantify as it depends on the size of cubes and staleness of bread, but about 10-15 mins at 220 is usually about right.

red37 Sun 01-Nov-09 17:01:03

thanks I will try both ways

I havent stale bread, but I will ver slightly toast my fresh bread

red37 Sun 01-Nov-09 18:07:17

they were great

thanks very much

brightwell Mon 02-Nov-09 07:00:41

I do them in the oven, I use the oil from the jar of sundried tomato's, add rosemary & black pepper.I store them in an airtight container, they last ages. We use them in soups & salads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now